Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Decemberists

Manchester Academy, 5/2/07.

Changed routine here slightly. I took a half day of work so I could get to Manchester early and get something to eat before the show. I had done some research online and the best area of Manchester too look for a decent restaurant.

Managed to get the 3pm train and get there for 4pm. I booked into the hotel and got the bus into the city center area I had researched. Whilst walking around I found two lovely old Victorian pubs that I stopped of in and had a drink. Unfortunately though the beer was not that good in either place, lets hope I just caught them on an off day. I found a nice French restaurant and sat down to eat at about 5:45. I walked back to the Academy area (about 2 miles) where I noticed a queue was forming waiting for doors. I wasn't sure what crowd the Decmberists were going to pull to be honest. I joined the crowd as they started letting people in. By the time I got into the hall there were quite a few people up front and I was about six rows back. After a while though I managed to manoeuvre myself into third row with a decent view.






The support band came on and for the life of me I can't remember their name. They were a folksy band with a female lead singer who moved her arms around like a ballerina. They were ok though.

The Decemberists came on and opened their set with the first two songs off "The Crane Wife". For anyone who doesn't know the album the second track clocks in at about 11 mins. They were really good, they have quite a big sound for an acoustic based band. The best way to describe them would be "epic", yeah! I think that's close enough.
Colin Molloy is a great front man too. At one point he asked the audience to divide down the middle for a sing-a-long competition. As soon as this was achieved some people from the back ran up to the front, which was greeted with jeers from the rest of us. Molloy just stood there with his arms folded and said "I not singin' anymore until you go back". They eventually moved back tails firmly between legs. Great fun though. It was one of the most enjoyable gigs I've been to for a while. I would urge anyone who gets the chance to see them. I would just like to say a thanks to Julia for the prod, I was not originally going to go but changed my mind, eventually

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Sounds like an interesting show, esp. with the parting of the crowd and all. Glad you made it to third row. It's kinda fun maneuvering for position though, huh? I mean it's one thing if friends are saving a spot like we do but if you leave as a group, your positions are lost!

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:56:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home