Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Noisettes/Foals

Life Cafe, Manchester 30/1/07.

Usual routine scarper from work, get train to Manchester, book into hotel, get to gig. The venue was the Life Cafe which is where I saw Metric last year. Not one of my fave places it has to be said though the layout of the place is good they have one of those 6" (non) stage things that I'm not keen on. Anyway an opening act called Mayor McCa came on, a Canadian one man band guy who was, well shambolic. Some people liked him. I think that was more out of sympathy than anything, so I'll pass over it.
Next up were a band called Foals I've heard their name mentioned before and they're on my extensive "to listen too list". A five piece band who play, hmm difficult to categorize er think, say Gang of Four go fusion!! ?? Anyway they play fast jumpy staccato rock. I quite enjoyed them and I'll look out for anything they put out. Oh! one thing, I liked the way they set up, again a band that played side-on. One guitarist played most of the set with his back to the audience.















The Noisettes came up next a 3 piece from London who I've been tracking for a while. They have released an EP and a couple of singles that I, err! acquired online shall we say. They have a basic heavy rock duo in the drummer, who's excellent and lead guitarist but have a twist in the singer/bass player/guitarist. She is Shingai Soniwa who is an excellent front woman who is very lively onstage.

She makes them different to other bands of the same ilk. She has great energy different vocal styles and a good screech when required. She patrols the "stage" in bare feet too.
Another point here is that she carries 6 different guitars and plays them all. She switches between bass and guitar depending on the song. Her roadies set list had listed which instrument she was to play for each song. With the venue being so small he was next to me at the front tuning her guitar for the next song, then lent over and handed it to her between songs. I think she only played the same guitar for two songs in a row about twice. She had 2 bass, 2 six string and a twelve string that she played once and an accoustic, again played once.

In all though they were an excellent band and probably the best "new" band I've seen for a long while. If anyone gets the chance to see them live do so. Their album comes out on Monday (5/2/07). I've just read a review in Mojo which gives it a half page glowing review which is so unusual for Mojo for a new band.
I grabbed Shingais set list at the end, not the roadies one but her personal one, he!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home