Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006.

Well this is the first time I've done this.
Just a look back at highlights and low lights of the year.

Firstly there is this little beast. I've always wished I'd kept a diary. I think I've experienced enough in my life, with travel and music (my passions) to make one worthwhile. I only wish this would have been available to me say 25 years ago. But lets look forward not back, well ok just the last 12 months.

I've wondered how to do this, do I just ramble on or use a more "diaristic" approach?

A bit of both.
This has been the year I started this project as I said . Joined Myspace, a necessity at the time and prompted by Andy, but glad I'm there now. The first time I travelled west, again a necessity due to three certain ladies. I've been to more gigs this year than I have for many a year. Bought even more albums than last year, I didn't think that was possible. This was also the first year I struggled with my age. Anyway by month here we go -:

January.
Not much happened I hate Jan anyway. Most notable thing I bought a new lap top. I also ordered Gossip, Arctic Monkeys, Clap yr hands and Broken Social albums from Amazon.

February.
Notable thing a trip to Manchester to see Broken Social then to Bristol the next day to see Laura Veirs.

March.
The month was dominated by a trip to Switzerland. I travelled on my birthday which was the only thing that stopped me from committing suicide. For some reason I got really down about being 45. Anyway went to Basel then to Geneva then to Lucerne.

April.
Bought the Rogers Sisters album. Saw Giant Drag and the Organ in Manchester. Oh and set up this little baby, my blog site.

May.
The main thing here was the S-K UK tour. I did Bristol - Leeds and Glasgow. This was a great trip met some good people, had a chat with Corin and Janet for the first time. I also got Corins set list in Bristol and Carries in Leeds.

June.
World cup. Saw Joan for the first time.
Oh! and that day, yes that day. The "indefinite hiatus" day. 27th a night I wont forget in a hurry. I swear I just stared at the announcement for 20/30 mins went to make my dinner and kept coming back to see if it had changed. I then shot straight to the message board where all hell was going on. I proceeded to drink 2 bottles of wine and eventually turn my computer off at 7:10 am, run into the shower then off to work. A sad day.

July.
The scramble for tickets for S-Ks last show dominated here. The one thing that came shining through was how the people from the message board came together as a "community" and helped each other obtain tix and just made sure anyone who was a true fan got tickets for the last shows. I thank Korina and Tom here and of course others who helped others. It was a strange phenomenon people from around the world who just became this close knit community.

August.
The first of the East Coast shows was Philly (actually on 31st July, but I'll put it here). I had a really tight schedule for my flights Liverpool - Dublin - Shannon - Philly. It went sweet as a nut though, apart from a grilling at Philly airport. "Why you here" 3 gigs! "Who ya seein'?" ect ect!!
Anyway I was a phenomenally hot day, I struggled in the line here (I got there 2 ish) at times I thought I was going to pass out. Don't forget I'd been up since 3am plus the 5 hour difference in time. Eventually met up with Andy, Kori and Garrett. The rest as they say is history, I rank this as probably the best I've ever seen S-K. Therefore the probably the best gig ever. I ended up being awake for 30 hours. The next morning the four of us got the bus from Philly down to DC. I have posted all this in my East Coast review. The cancellation of the DC gig just before the ladies were due on stage in some way seemed to bond the four of us. Even at the time it was one of those strange incidents that only good was going to out of. I got the train separately to NYC the following morning and got to Webster Hall at about 11:10 am Who's already on the steps? Sharron, she must have had a time machine. Again all the details I posted earlier but these turned out to be an incredible few days. It's impossible to mention all the incidents and things that happened, there were just too many. Even now I think of things and say to myself "oh yeah I forgot about that". Fact is Andy, Kori and Garrett I now consider you true friends. Back home, 3 days in work then off to PDX. Again I could go on and on about everything that happened in those few days too. Again though I met some wonderful people who I now consider as friends.
Oh! and the ladies totally rocked too. 10 days later I went to see Janet with Quasi in Manchester and had a really nice chat with her, she also made a point of coming over to say goodbye at the end too.The board eventually came back up as well.

September.
How do you follow the previous two months, well a holiday in Serbia is about as good as it got. I had a nice week. I spent a few days in Belgrade then travelled up to Novi Sad for a few more days. Weather was good (of course) and I just tried to relax as much as poss. I also got my "final show" poster framed which is so beautiful.

October.
I saw the VEG Club for the first time and also EE for the first time. Both were great they also ended up topping my 2006 album list. I'll say this here and it's not the reason I like 'em but Louise Mason is freakin hot. I also caught the Gossip again in Liverpool, shit venue though.

November.
Saw the Gossip again this time at the Roadhouse in Manchester. Great gig excluding S-K shows the best of the year. Met some good people the crowd totally rocked, Beth clasped hands with me again. They really exuded their new found fame and confidence here, had a brief chat with Brace after too. Other good shows this month included the Sound Movement (the smallest stage in the world) and The Rogers again. Veg Club with You Say Party-- Louise lookin' hot again!!. This month also saw Ruth turn 50, A great party was held at Broad Oak with a performance from Nath and his band of travelling poets.

December.
Not much here really except my first view of Blood Red Shoes. I like this duo, Laura - guitar and Steven - drums. Good angular punk stuff.

There you go the year in brief , honest!.
Dominated by three ladies. I thought time would heal the "hiatus" (I'll hate that word for eternity). Whether it's just a bad patch I don't know but I miss them more than ever at the moment, the thought of not seeing them live next year is depressing.

Kristin, I need you to save my life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

The summer was one of the best ever for me, seriously. And ironically it started with my favorite band announcing their "indefinite hiatus."

It is pretty cool how people can click without ever having met them before except on the net. But then add endless hours of waiting in lines and an unbelievable heatwave and that's something we all shared and I'm sure will never forget. Still brings me smiles, even, or especially DC. :P

I wish I could do a year end review but I only remember like half of it. :s

Saturday, January 06, 2007 10:19:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This def was the best and worst year all wrapped up together. I'll never forget the s-k voyage. Started as something I had to do and turned into the best experience of my life. Thanks for that :)

~Kori

Sunday, January 07, 2007 12:48:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home