Sunday, January 21, 2007

Vile Vile Creatures

Star & Garter, Manchester, 19/1/07.

Went up to Manchester Friday to catch up with and see the "creatures" (he!)
I met Jenny and Sian at the Gossip gig last Nov. It turned out I had a photo of Jenny on my phone from the Erase Errata gig in Leeds last year. She was the lucky girl who got handed Jenny Hoyston's guitar during the encore.
They have their own band called Vile Vile Creatures, and I promised to go and see them when the chance arose. This is the result of said chance.

I decided not to stay overnight and to catch the last train home. The last train being at 11:20 and the venue, the Star & Garter is right by Piccadilly station. Got to the venue at about 20:40 or so, there were not many people about though. I spotted Jenny and David milling about. Jen comes over and says hi and that they'll be starting soon (the stage is upstairs by the way). There are three bands playing Fake Tan, VVC and a band from Brighton called Shrag. Fake Tan were on first, I'll put their review last by their pic (can't be arsed editing).
VVC came on, Jen on guitar Sian on bass and David on drums. They play good loud punkish material with a good off kilter beat. A major plus here is that they really enjoy playing their music, are enthusiastic and energetic. Jen leaps about the stage almost "Carrie-esqe". David is an excellent drummer and plays some good off-kilter rhythms, and works his ass off. It works, Jen and David are the eccentrics and Sian is the one who holds the whole thing together, which is right. They played a Cave (Birthday Party) cover and Jen turned into Nick Cave singing sideways into the mic, great stuff. At one stage Jenny picks up a megaphone, plays her guitar with it then leapt off stage onto the floor singing thru the megaphone. In all I really enjoyed them entertaining stuff. Thanks people.

Fake Tan, the first band on. They were ok, the main thing here was the lead singer/guitarist was far more confident as a singer than a guitarist. The bass player was excellent she really held the band together, her fretwork was superb almost played the bass as lead at times. Think Brace in a yellow jump suit, perhaps not.

Unfortunately I had to leave to get the train before Shrag came on but in all a good night. I said my goodbyes to David and Sian (couldn't find Jenny) and left.

Oh! one thing, Sian the S-K sticker on the back of your bass guitar? shame on you. Everyone in the world knows it should be on the front.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

... and on a bass guitar is a bit weird. Which s-k sticker was it?

I've left shows on more than a few occasions where I either have never heard of the headliner or just didn't care for them. It always feels a bit weird to leave before the headliner but a lot of the bands I love often are the opener or middle in the lineup.

Monday, January 22, 2007 7:20:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

It was the Woods "blue dot" sticker.
It was a shame I had to leave b4 the end but I saw the creatures which was why I was there. A good night though.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:02:00 am  
Blogger Andy said...

hey, I got to hear VVC on myspace and ended up adding them. I like their sound a lot!

Saturday, February 03, 2007 9:19:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home