Friday, November 02, 2007

Shrag & V V C.

Joshua Brooks, Manchester, 28/10/07.
Joshua Brooks is one of those awful pseudo pubs built to look like an olde English place, but in essence is shit.
The venue for the gig was in the basement. I got there about 8:20 ish as I had sent Sian a text asking when ko was. She text me back saying they were on at 9 and Shrag at 10.
The place had a small stage and a stone floor and pillars here and there. The building was a warehouse along the canal in it's past. As predicted there were not many people about. The Creatures came in not long after me and we said our Hi's and had a chat for a while. Jen said she was still not 100% as she'd been down with a cold. They were still a bit naffed as they'd been stitched by some promoters recently, but things were ok.

The stage here seemed really cluttered and I wondered how they would get on. They came on just after 9 and rattled through their set, no surprises this time though. Highlight being "Ghost & ghouls now a firm fave live. With the stage being cluttered there was not too much movement going on which was a shame. The sound was not good either. This was not the best VVC performance I've seen but still enjoyed it. Jen did her usual run into the audience for FF though.

Shrag stepped up not long after. They're a five piece from Brighton , and good friends with VVC. The lead singer girl had a cute voice but I'll be honest I wasn't particularly sold on them.
It didn't help that there were a couple of drunken idiots in the place who were just annoying everyone. In the end the security came and chucked them out.
I went upstairs onto the outside balcony with Jen, Sian and David after and we had a good natter for a while. I eventually said my goodbye and headed off back to my accom'n.
In truth not the best show of the year but nice as always to catch up with VVC.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I've read so many of yr VVC reviews, I feel like I've seen them. I really hope they come out this way.

It's kind of crazy that I don't see anyone up front! How many people would you say there were? Last night at Love of Diagrams, there was a modest sized crowd but me and this one guy were the only ones up front with about a five feet gap behind us! Who cares! Up front and dance I say!

Friday, November 02, 2007 11:14:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

This was not one of the better shows about 30/40 people watching, if that.
Crowd levels are difficult to judge beforehand I find.
But yeah dance yr ass off at the front, agreed.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:37:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home