Saturday, October 06, 2007

We Start Fires plus (We are) Performance.

Central Station, Wrexham, 4/10/07.

Having left my hotel in Lisbon at 4:30 am, via Amsterdam, Manchester Airport, Manchester Piccadilly and Chester I get to Wrexham at about 5:20 pm. I wanted to catch WSF as they were doing a signing in HMV at 5 pm. I got to HMV just before half past to told I missed them by 5 mins. Bit of a bugger after 13 hours travel. I got the bus back to Ruth's to drop my bag off have a coffee and then set off back to town, I wasn't sure whether doors were 7:30 or 8. No sign of any activity at 7:30 so I popped up the road to the Horse & Jockey for a quick pint. When I came back at 8 there was a queue of about 20 people and they opened the doors almost as I got there. I've never been to Central Station before so I was curious to see what this venue was like, it was never there when I was growing up in Wrexham.
It's not too bad a little venue really. Only one of those foot high stages though.
First band on were a local band called the Rigby's who were in my opinion not anything interesting, pass.
Next up were (We Are) Performance (pictured) a band I've been meaning to check out. As with everything in my life I'm behind schedule. A five piece who had a really good stage presence. Their sound was good too, they were solid, tight but loose enough to make you take notice. Well I know what I mean. I must check out more of their stuff. Hot lady guitarist too, though not my type.

I moved over to Carries side for WSF, don't ask me why, I just did. WSF are a four piece from Darlington. Erm! yes Darlington, the only band ever to come from there, I think!!
Three girls up front and a guy on drums. They play fairly straight forward punky rock tunes. I wasn't sure at first as they seemed to start off hesitant. After about 3/4 songs they seemed to get going. Due to the fact that most of the spotty oiks who had deserted the front of the stage after their "mates" the Rigby's had finished saw a couple of girls with guitars and started to take an interest. Anyway once they seemed to get into their stride they were ok. I won't rush out to their next gig if the truth be known, but I can't say I didn't enjoy them either.

I bought their CD from them later and told them the sorry story of my 13 hour travel to catch them at HMV and missing them by 5 mins. This brought a wave of sympathy from Becky (guitar) and Nikki (bass).

Stroke me I'm a Muppet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being wondering about WSF - liked the first couple of things I heard and then everything else seemed to be a bit generic grrrl indie so I was put off a bit. Will give the another try but it seems like a case of the idea being more exciting than the reality perhaps.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:40:00 am  
Blogger Andy said...

I think I prefer a foot high stage over say one as high as Webster Hall in NYC. That's a nice Rickenbacker. The bassist for The Fucking Ocean has one and it sounds and looks great.

Anyways, welcome back! I just finished an eight show in four days, last weekend.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home