Thursday, October 18, 2007

Los Campesinos! / YSPWSD / Sky Larkin.

Manchester, Night & Day, 13/10/07.

I was looking forward to this show. Three bands, one I've been tracking for a while (Sky Larkin) another one of my fave live bands (YSPWSD) the last a band I haven't made my mind up on yet (Los Campesino!).

I got to the N&D about 7:30 and there was a little queue outside, they soon opened the doors though. I went in bought a drink and had a wander round. Next thing a guy walks up to me and says hi!. It was Steve a chap I talked to briefly at the We Start Fires gig in Wrexham the other week. We chatted until SkyLarkin took the stage.


Sky Larkin are a three piece from Leeds who I've been keeping an eye on for a while. They're led by singer/guitarist Katie. I enjoyed them difficult though not knowing too much of the material. I'll continue to keep an eye on them though.
You Say Party We Say Die are one of my favourite live bands. I've seen them loads of times now and they never fail to entertain. Becky is so energetic and watchable.


Again they were great fun Steve and myself had moved up to the very front of the stage. Becky spent a lot of the time on the boxes at the front. At one point she was dancing almost on top of me. She also jumped into the audience too. They only played a very short set though which was a shame. But they were great as usual.
The last band up were Los Campesinos!. I wasn't sure about these I have their 6 song EP and there are a few good songs on there but still was not sure if I liked them.
Their cause was helped greatly when the lead singer came on stage wearing this --
They are a 7 piece band from Cardiff who play upbeat angular pop tunes with a quirky nature. It has to said they were really good live and got the crowd going well. Being a 7 piece the stage was fairly crowded. S-K shirt guy had to do a Becky at times and sing almost in the crowd.
Fair play to them they converted me, I'm really enjoying their EP now. They play a Pavement cover too called "frontwards" which was good.
I'll probably put this down as one of the most enjoyable gigs this year. It was a really good night three entertaining bands. Nice to meet Steve again.
At the end Steve and I went up to the merch stall and had a really good chat with Becky.

And a photie, Becky looking lovely and me awful as usual : (

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I checked out You Say Party We Say Die and they sound pretty good! I also checked out Los Campesinos and I was going to say "quirky" but I see you beat me to it! I have nothing against quirky (Cibo Matto, They Might Be Giants) but they feel a bit too cutesy for me. I'll check them out from the back after rocking out up front with Sugar and Gold.

The s-k shirt is too funny. Bonus points for sure! That's fantastic that this was one of the best gigs of the year. I love that feeling after the show when you have that feeling that it's up there. I'm starting to think about which shows to put.

You look like a wax figure in the photo. :D

Friday, October 19, 2007 5:02:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got the Sky Larkin 7" today, will have to shell out a bit more and check out the others after reading this.

Friday, October 19, 2007 8:58:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home