Friday, October 19, 2007

Gift or gimmick?

Radiohead - In Rainbows.

I've been meaning to post something about this for a while. I guess I've kind of missed the boat a little but I'll do it anyway.

Radiohead announced recently that their new album would be released online as a download, nothing new. The trick here was that fans, or anyone for that matter could choose the price they wished to pay for it. This was taken as ground breaking, fan friendly and a middle finger up to the record industry.

Don't worry y'all I'm not going to fly off on one of my Kristin Hersh rants. Though we all know K did this 2 1/2 years back and asked for no money whatsoever, just a "tip jar" if you wished to contribute. Ok 'nuff said on that.

To the album itself, some purists are complaining about the quality!! they need to get a life, it's fine. In fairness too the download was quick simple and without any hitches. Even for me.

The point here is Radiohead are band that can afford to do this. The vast majority of people will pay a fair price £5 - £10 (I paid £5). With them cutting out the middleman so to speak the revenue they get will be the same as any release. They also made available a full vinyl copy with loads of extra stuff etc etc, for £40. Hardcore fans would have chosen this option obviously.

So is this a gift or a gimmick?

In the cold light of day after the dust has settled, it's neither.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't pay anything for it on the basis that I haven't really enjoyed the last couple of theirs that I bought. However I am liking In Rainbows quite a lot so will by a 'real' copy when it's finally released and we'll all win.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:54:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

I think I'm one of the few people who loved "Hail to the thief" I thought they went back to a rougher edge on it.
And don't get me started on the Bends vs Computer debate!!
(a debate that exists only in my mind I think)
And I won't mention marmite :)

Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:33:00 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

Not a fan of Radiohead (what?!) but I love it that they are doing this. I'm for anything that brings about a quick end to the RIAA and the marketing industrial complex of the record labels.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:47:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home