Friday, October 26, 2007

The Indelicates

Telfords Whorehouse, Chester, 25/10/07.

This was an interesting one. A band I've been tracking (starting not to like that word, but you know what I mean) for a while are suddenly playing a show in Chester.


Their "my space" doesn't say where they are from but most of their gigs are in and around London. I assume they are from the south east area, but why 1 gig in Chester? it doesn't figure. I think they may have a local connection, from here, moved down south to Uni or vice versa.

It was a free/charity gig run by Oxjam an offshoot of Oxfam. There were 6 artists performing all of them local except The Indelicates.


The first three artists played in the main bar, all acoustic. It was pointless watching them as the noise from people talking etc made it impossible to hear. I moved myself to the lower level. This where the three "main" bands would play.


First up was a solo acoustic guy!! who's name I didn't catch. He was ok though, quite a good wordsmith. Main problem here was even though there were only 30 ish people watching there was a couple stood in the middle of the floor constantly chatting. It didn't help that the girl had one of those high pitched scouse accents that just grates on the ears. They were really annoying. I really wanted to tell them to shut up. If they wanted to talk go up to the main bar and be noisy there, you pair of *******.
Anyhow the Indelicates stepped up a 5 piece, standard format. I've only heard their "my space" songs so a full set from them would be interesting. I had a fear they may be a little too "poppy" though.
The lead singer Simon was having a few probs with his guitar but managed to get through the first couple of songs. They came over really well, a more rocky version of Los Campesinos as a point of ref. Simon and the keyboardist interacted during a couple of songs. The bass player was good too she was really into it and played alot with her eyes closed.
I really enjoyed them, they were a nice surprise. I'm gonna keep an eye on them.
Next band up were a basic three piece rhythm & blues pub type band that I didn't stick around to watch.
I was still intrigued as to where the Indelicates were from. I went outside and saw Simon from the band, I went up and introduced myself. I said I enjoyed their set. I then asked where they were from. No surprises on this one, Brighton, the Portland of England. I then asked why the one gig in Chester? "because we were asked" he said, "well go anywhere if were asked". I was really impressed with this and more bands should do this, though I appreciate it's not cost effective. They literally chucked their gear in a van this morning drove up to Chester played for 30 mins and then got ready to drive back to Brighton. To add to that they are going straight into the studio to record tomorrow morning too.
I had a really good chat with Simon about music and we got on well. I was really impressed with his attitude and thanked him for making the journey all the way up to Chester.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

The venue is becoming familiar to me. :D

That was a pretty cool interaction you had. Yeah, I totally agree that fan appreciation/attitude makes a HUGE difference. I know it should just be the music but it doesn't hurt to have them be, uh, pleasant or "cool."

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home