Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Victorian English Gentlemans Club & Vile Vile Creatures.

Corporation, Sheffield. 13/9/07.

I've been looking forward to this gig since VVC told me they were playing with TVEGC, who are my fave current band. I had to switch my work schedule and arrange to be able to get away about 3:30 ish on the day. The trip to Sheffield takes about 2 hours from Chester via Stockport. I had booked to stay in the same Travelodge as I stayed when seeing Kristin here in March (Leadmill though).
Arrived in Sheffield about 6:15 pm, about a 10 min walk to the hotel, a quick freshen, then out. I needed to check where the venue was as I hadn't been there before. Map in hand I found it ok, about 20/25 mins walk. I thought about giving David (from VVC) a ring but thought I'll get some food first then find out where they are. I walked round the corner from the Corporation and who was walking down the road, guitars and drums in hand? Jen, Sian and David. Spooky.
They were going to set their gear up and sound check. Jen said they were then going to go to a pub round the corner called the Washington, which has a Pulp connection and is a good music pub. I said I'll go get something to eat then join them. The place I wanted to eat at for some reason was not serving food!! so I had to settle for an Indian restaurant. Very good though.
Met them all at the Washington and Jen introduced me to The Millipedes (the other band on the bill) who all seemed nice people. While talking, Sian asked me if I'd seen the stage at the Corp. It's really high she told me and she felt as though the audience were in a pit. She also said that TVEGC were feeling a bit tired as they had driven all the way up from Cardiff for the show.

We all got back to the venue about 9:20 ish. VVC said they were on at 9:40. Sian was rite the stage was really high, about neck height to me. Anyway they all went off to get ready. I bought a drink and settled on the best spot to view. After a few moments TVEGC came in by the bar area and had a look round. Emma spotted me and waved over and smiled. Oh damn! I'm getting the hots for Emm's now. VVC took the stage and it was evident the sound was excellent. Their usual set punctuated by a new song. They announced that it may go wrong but fair play a brave move. I had nothing to judge it by though, but it sounded good. I asked Sian it's title later, but she said they haven't a name for it yet. They finished as usual with FF which was really good. Sian's bass line sounded so good here, in fact it has to the bass line of the year. Thus decided on this night. They were
very good here. Next up were the Millipedes, a five piece pop/rock local band and friends of Jen's. They were ok, the guitarist had an interesting sound, I must check them out properly to form a real opinion.

TVEGC took the stage whilst setting up Lou hung a Russian flag over the front of the stage. They do this sort of thing often. I've seen them use German and Welsh flags in the past. They played a similar set to Liverpool but changed it round a bit. With the stage being so high I couldn't see Emm's much but her drum sound really stood out. Again the new single "La Mer" stood out, I think they enjoy playing that at the moment. Every time I've seen TVEGC they have good banter between each other onstage, but rarely with the audience. Tonight though they did a rare exchange with the crowd. I take this as a growing confidence and an attempt to reach out. Though they've always come across as a very confident, know where they're going bunch. I found it strange they chose here to communicate with their audience. That said they were excellent again and I found myself thinking I would travel anywhere to see them. Damn! that's a dangerous thought.

After the show I congratulated VVC on a well executed set. I had a chat with Emma and told her the drum sound was super. I also said that she presumably had turned down the call from Plant and Page to sit in for the Led Zep gig!!. She laughed and said "of course we're busy". Obviously Dame Janet turned it down too, well she would have been first on the list surely? Later David introduced me to Adam and we had a chat about the way they set up differently at each gig. Adam explained they go by the venue and choose how best it'll be. That's what I love about them.

I came across some pics taken at a recent London show. I thought these were obviously professional shots. I asked permission to use some to post here. Turns out they they were taken by a passionate amateur photographer called Jacqui Sadler. She granted me permission to use them. Thank you again Jacqui.

Ok we all know I have the hots for Lou, but Emm's, jeez. This ain't fair. It struck me talking to Emma this night how lovely she is. The first time I met her she seemed very stand-off ish. I think she realises I'm a genuine harmless fan (idiot) now.

This was an excellent night, we all said our goodbye's outside, VVC were driving back to Manchester as David had work at 9am the next day.

I wandered off into the night a happy bunny!

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

That sounded like a near perfect show for ya!

I *hate* tall stages. Fillmore has one and there is definitely a disconnect between the band and the audience. The only memorable/fun thing for me with a high stage was when Kim Gordon came right above me and danced and er, was wearing a dress. Trying to be a gentleman I tried my best to look away. :P

Louis > Emma but let's say Emma played the bass... hmm.

"Sian's bass line sounded so good here, in fact it has to the bass line of the year." Hey... watch it! Actually since Nightlife is now over a year old (!), I can accept that since I was humming the bassline to that song just now. It's interesting that there is only bass and drums to that song.

Awesome poster at the venue!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:29:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

Yeah Ok, if Emm's played bass we'd have to have Lou on guitar and Adem on drums.
Damn! I'll have to suggest that to them. He! He!

Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:19:00 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

hey, did you add two new photos? I don't remember the VVC megaphone photo (awesome) and maybe another photo of Louis?

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:37:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

Er! no that's been there since the original post Andy.
Ha! no more photos of Lou for ya she's mine, He! He!

Monday, September 24, 2007 11:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home