Monday, September 24, 2007

My Brigtest Diamond.

My Brightest Diamond, Roadhouse, Manchester, 21/9/07.


The band I was coming up to see Violet Violet, the support to MBD had cancelled. Because I had pre booked the hotel I had come up to this. I wasn't sure about MBD their Myspace page didn't really suggest I'd like them.

Anyway got the train and got my hotel by ten past seven. I dumped my stuff and nipped for something to eat at a restaurant I know round the corner from the Roadhouse. I felt as I had plenty of time here and I wasn't particularly looking forward to this show.
I got to the venue about 8:40, just as the first band were finishing their set, damn they started early, ah well!.
The next band, well artist was a solo acoustic guy called Paul Frith. I like watching acoustic guitarists, if their good. Fair play to this guy he was ok. I love when acoustic guitarists pick from the top and bottom to create a dual sound if you like.


By the time MBD came on I'd settled on a position almost at the side of the stage. There wasn't a big crowd but I've never stood and viewed from this angle at the Roadhouse before. MBD are a three piece led by singer/guitarist Shara. They came over more upbeat than their Myspace stuff, obvious too they are excellent musicians.

After a few songs I was really enjoying them. Shara is a curious little thing. She has a good banter with the audience in a squeaky New York drawl. I obviously didn't know the material but found myself enjoying anyway. Shara reminded me alot of Lizzie from Land of Talk, she had a way of "bobbing" about whilst playing and also jumped around the stage quite a bit.

In all they exceeded my expectations so I can't ask for more than that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Sorry you missed the main act but at least you got to see a good show regardless. Electrelane cancelled a few months back but it was because they got offered to open for Arcade Fire. Who could turn that down? So I got to see them but from very very far. Swan Island however, cancelled at the last minute and that was a huge disappointment... enough that I rented a car and went down 3 hours south to catch them the next day!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:31:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home