Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Pony Up!

Night & Day, Manchester, 3/11/07.

I got to the N&D about 8 ish again I wasn't sure what sort of crowd Pony Up would attract. When I got in the place I was surprised to find the place unusually packed. It took me a few moment to realise that most people were, well a lot older and certainly not there to see PU.
I couldn't work out what the deal was here. I bought a drink and went down towards the stage to my usual spot by the piano (must take a photo of that someday). There were two guys sat down at the table by there one of them in a suit. I thought I recognised the other chap but couldn't put a name to him at that point. Then some guys came over and had a photo taken with this guy. I then realised he was the football agent Eric Hall. I then figured the place must be full because there may be some "celebrity" footballers in.


There were three bands billed to play tonight, City Lights, LR Rockets and Pony Up. Then a band started setting up, followed by a media circus up the front. I couldn't figure, the band was not City Lights. Anyway the main guy announced himself as Rupert Hill and the band Yellow Dog. This guy was a really polished good looking chap, a promoters dream really, very marketable. Think a clean Mr Doherty! They were crap, well ok that's a little harsh. Bollocks I feel like being harsh, they were crap! After the media circus followed this guy and Mr Hall was introducing him to the "suits" et al. Then everybody buggered off. As the other bands played less people were up at the stage as time went it was bizarre. City Lights, nah! not that good. LR Rockets were quite entertaining though.

By the time Pony Up came on there was myself and two girls up the front of the stage, and they were Canadian!. After a couple of songs though it filled up as people realized this was a good little band. I was looking forward to seeing PU though I wondered whether they may be a little too poppy. I love their album though I have a dilemma in the fact that it was released last year, therefore not eligible for my top 20 of the year. That's a separate issue though.

I thoroughly enjoyed them they were super, really excellent musicians. They struck the right balance of putting their material over. They managed to beef their sound up without losing its whimsical sensibility.

As for this gorgeous little lady on main vocal and keys, after a few songs I was just captivated by her. Laura Wills is just, well just, JUST!! She has such a cute voice, fronts the band well and bops up and down with total cuteness. When they played "Pastime endeavour", one of the more upbeat songs on the album the emotion got to me. I filled up with tears it moved me that much. It's difficult to explain to "other" people how this art form can move me so much. I understand how it's impossible for people to grasp this. Fact is it does and I make no excuses for it. Even writing about this has made me fill up again. I think I filled up within 30 seconds of S-K's gig in Philly, that is my record one, jeez.

After the show I went to their merch stall where 3 of the 4 band members were there. I bought almost everything. I too had a really nice chat with Laura who offstage is as contagiously gorgeous as on it. She had this beautiful soft Canadian accent that just melted me. Ok enough of lovesick puppy mode, but Corin, Janet, Lou, Em's and Laura Mary have some serious competition here.

PS: I may give the impression here that I love my fave bands due to the fact I have the "hots" for whoever. Believe me it's the music I fall in love with first.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monster, monster.

Monday, November 12, 2007 2:48:00 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

Exactly. It's the musical ability and performance that makes them hot.

Great photo of the guitarist!

Monday, November 12, 2007 10:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home