Sunday, November 04, 2007

Asobi Seksu/Scanners/Sound Movement.

Korova, Liverpool, 31/10/07.


Got to the Korova bar about 5/10 past 9 and for a change here the doors had opened on time. I went in but there weren't many people in and nobody I knew. I wondered if Sakura (photo girl) would be covering this one but no sign of her.

The Sound Movement came out onto the floor and Kat immediately recognised me and came straight over to say hi. She's had a tough year as she'd broken both hands in an accident and it was looking like 18 months before she would play bass again. Fortunately she healed in 9 and is just getting back into the swing of things. In all it's been a difficult year for SM.

She was in fairly high spirits though. Kat then said they were on now and would catch me latter. They now play as a three piece when I saw them last year they were a four.

Most of the stuff on the SM set was new and sounded good a couple of old faves were played though, Kat seemed ok and comfortable. I was pleased for her and I told them as they were packing up I thought they worked better as a three piece. I asked Andrew for his set list to keep up on the new stuff.

Next up were Scanners, I've got them on my to check out list but haven't got round to them yet. A four piece from London, female fronted. They were ok the lead singer/guitarist Sarah had a good stage presence too. I need to check out them more.
The main act here was a band from New York called Asobi Seksu. Of the name I have no idea. Again a four piece, lead singer/keyboardist was an oriental girl almost reminiscent of Satomi from Deerhoof. I liked the guitarist who was a really good and rocked out a fair bit in the limited space he had. Though I didn't know much (any really) of their material I enjoyed them. They were very watchable the drummer was excellent too.
During their set Kat from SM came up alongside me and asked me what I thought of them. We chatted about them (in between songs) for the rest of their set. A guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder during the set asking if I was connected to the bands playing. I said no I'm just a music fan. He said are you sure cuz you seem to know everybody. This amused me slightly. After the show I went to the small merch stall and had a chat with the girl from AS, she did tell me her name but I didn't hear it properly.
I then went upstairs to the bar I thought I'd have a quick drink then head off. As it happened I bumped ito David the guy who thought I was connected to the bands. We introduced ourselves and had a good chat about music and stuff.
Just then Kat came up wearing her coat and said "there you are" she said they were going now and it was nice to catch up. We gave each other a peck on the cheek and said goodbye. David just looked at me with a "talk your way out of that one" look. It was one of those you had to be there moments really.
Really funny though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Is this the Korova Bar that was in Clockwork Orange?! Cause that would be awesome.

I think one of the most fun things about going to gigs are the relationships you can form with the band members especially the ones that appreciate you coming out over and over and over again. The fact that you yourself become some kind of a VIP is just an added bonus. :P

On a more serious side, I sometimes feel awkward when I know the band too well. It's not like we are "hang out" friends and they know I hold them in awe. To be honest I just want to see a great show but at the same time the entire experience of going to a show involves interaction with the band. I don't know... it's a unique relationship for sure, at least for me.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home