Monday, September 03, 2007

Silversun Pickups

Barfly, Liverpool. 31-8-07.

Got away from work in good time to catch the 5:45 train to Liverpool. First leg of what promised to be a good weekend with three gigs in three nights. The travel up to Liv'l back to Chester up to Manchester then across back to Liverpool and back down home was going to tough schedule. Seeing SSPU, then catching up with the Creatures (I never know what to call them these days, VVC, or just Jen, Sian and David, whatever)

I got to Liverpool fine time and went to check the venue and confirm the time of doors. I had a feeling the Silversun's would attract a bigger crowd than the N & D gig earlier in the year. Their profile has upped over here with TV appearances etc.
I got told doors were 7:30 so I went to the bar across the road and had a drink while keeping an eye on the venue. About 7:25 there were a couple of people stood outside so I wandered across and joined them. After several minutes we started chatting, the guy I was talking too was a big "Brummie" guy who looked, well, older the me to be honest. Turns out he is a kindred spirit, same age as me and does as many gigs as I. To top it he travels more than me. He is a big Hedrons fan and has been all over Europe to see them this year. It was really interesting meeting someone with a similar passion, and believe me to look at this guy you would never put him down as a dedicated gig goer. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover etc, but hey it's great to know I'm not the only 35 year old (hic!!) idiot out there.
Doors eventually opened at 8:10, Hmm, this may run late. Anyway first band on have the most crap name "We are foxes"? what? that said they weren't that bad. Lead singer was a bit too "Liamesque" but they were ok. Next up Sonic Flyer, again these were ok a female lead singer who played guitar. The drummer was pretty good here too and you could see they too their name from a major influence!

I saw SSPU in Manchester earlier in the year. The crowd there was a front row with room to move of about 30/40 people. How 3 months exposure can change a band. This time it was rammed up the front. I was Corins side, as usual, but even there pushed up against the barrier. The Barfly has a slightly smaller stage than the N & D so Brian did not have as much room to work in as last time. Niki again was great. I love the way she jumps in and out of her bass lines. They played more or less the same set but ah! a new song in there. Brian did not announce it's title, saying that it may be an old song that was not on the album.
Again they were great to watch and the crowd was really into them and pretty lively. Unfortunatly as they were playing the encore I had to run out to get to the last train at 11:28. I shook hands with Ian and ran out.
Made the train, just, phew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home