Wednesday, September 05, 2007

V V C

Vile Vile Creatures, Contact theater, Manchester. 1/9/07.


After a late night on the Fri, I don't think I went to bed till about 4:15 am. I shot up to Manchester on Sat lunchtime. I there at about 2pm and booked into the Grafton. The Contact theater is next to the Academy therefor literally across the road from my hotel. I nipped across to have a check soon after as the event was an all day job though the Creatures were not on till 11pm. I went in and there was a band playing with 1/2 dozen people watching. I stood and watched for a few minutes then decided to go up into town. I wanted to have a mooch round Piccadilly records and pop into the Night & Day. I got the bus up to Piccadilly and walked up Oldham St. I came to the last cross road waiting for the lights to change and opposite me coming in the other direction was David from V V C. What were the chances of that? I only know 1/2 dozen people in Manchester but to bump into David on Sat afternoon was weird. We had a chat and said we'd catch up properly later.
I popped into Piccadilly records and had a quick scout round, but didn't buy anything. I went across the road and had a coffee in the N & D and then went for something to eat at my usual restaurant, blah! blah! blah!
I got back to the contact theater about 6:30 ish. I walked in and Jen and Sian were stood there so we had a quick chat and I asked what time they were due to play. They said about 11 ish, so I told them I was going back to the hotel just to freshen up and I'd be back later.

I got back about 8:30 ish after a shower and a little siesta. I watched a couple of bands had a chat with a few people. The bands got better as the evening wore on, the two bands before VVC were quite good. One called Drag and I can't remember the name of the other one, but watchable.

Talking to Jen earlier in the evening she was saying she was really tired. VVC came on and played what is now a familiar set to me. It was obvious Jen was tired she was not her normal self. Her playing was fine but she didn't seem to have her usual energy. That said they were ace as normal, and Ghosts & Ghouls is a firm fave now.

There were another two bands on after the Creatures the first a trio, sort of Bloc Party type, ish, ness. Midway through their third song I think the guitarists guitar just packed up. He then spent ages just fiddling around trying to get sound out of it. Jen came to the rescue and loaned the guy her guitar much to his relief. As the last band was setting up Jen came over to me and said they were packing up outside, so I went and joined and we and a couple of others stood chatting for a while. I decided then it was time for a photo shoot the result some nice pics.

Thanks people, see you in Sheffield.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Jen to the rescue again with her guitar! The photos came out great. How many of their shows have you been to now?

Monday, September 10, 2007 4:25:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home