Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lonelady.

Saki Bar, Rusholme, Manchester. 18/8/07.


A late decision on Thursday to go and catch up with Lonelady. As I was off for the weekend I thought I'd better do something constructive. I discovered the venue was not too far from the University area, so I booked into the hotel I use for Academy gigs. I travelled up at lunchtime on Sat and booked into the Grafton. I wandered down to source where the place was, and found it easily as it was on the main road. I discovered that the Saki Bar is placed at the start of Manchester's "curry mile" a bewildering array of of Indian/Asian restaurants, one after another after another.



I decided to go up into the city center as I wanted to pop into Piccadilly records and into the Night & Day cafe, to see if Anna was working and say hi!.
I was a good boy in Piccadilly I only bought 2. I went across the road to have a coffee in N & D, unfortunately Anna was not working so I'll have to catch up next time round.

After about an age deliberating where to eat I made the decision to go back to the "curry mile" and eat there. Good move, so how do you pick out of a hundred eateries? the busy one and full of Indians, sorted.

Got to the Saki about 8:30 ish I went up stairs and paid my four quid. There was a band on, well a couple of guys screeching into mikes to a beatbox really, nuff said.
Next up Breaking Colts, again don't bother, largely thrash instrumental.
Lonelady then started setting up. She now has real drummer and a keyboardist. When I saw her with Quasi last year she was literally "Lonelady". She played a short 7 song set, most of it new material too. There were only 2 songs I knew, but the new stuff sounded great. I love her tuning on her telecaster, it complements her voice so well. I liked the way she played side on too. A shout to the drummer who was very good also.
After I went over to introduce myself and have a quick chat. I told her it was a shame she didn't make the Marnie Stern gig. She recognised me from our correspondence. She told me of the nightmare she had in Cardiff, Hmm! that's the last two bands I've seen have had mares in the "Diff" I'll have to have a word with the VEG Club (sorry for the abbreviation Louise).

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I like her songs on myspace quite a bit. She was the tipping point for me to join the Too Pure Singles Club.

Yr strategy in finding a good Indian (or a Chinese and Korean) restaraunt is the same thing I do as well. :D

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home