Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Victorian English Gentlemans Club.

Liverpool, Korova, 8/9/07.

Usual routine left work and got the train to Liverpool, got there about 7pm. I'd arranged with Nath to crash at his flat for the evening. Nathan was away so he said I'd have to contact his flat mate Gilbert to arrange to get in etc. I contacted Gilbert when I got to Central station and he said just call him half an hour before getting to Nath's. Sorted.

I had plenty of time here as doors were not till 9pm so I decided to eat. I couldn't get a table at my fave French restaurant so I went to a South American restaurant recommended to me by Tim. Very good too it has to be said.


I got to the Korova about 8:45, it's a bar with the venue downstairs. So I bought a drink and milled around seeing if there were any faces I knew. If I'm honest the Korova is my least

favourite venue, it has a non stage lip! and narrows to the front. Anyway they let people in at about 9:20. Not many about either. I can't understand why the Victorian English don't draw more people. Perhaps it's just me but they are probably my fave current band (with Blood Red Shoes). They are one of the bands that are trying to be different and succeeding in my opinion. Ok we all know I have the complete hots for Louise, that's not why I like them. People who know me will know that's true.


Anyway, things were running late here the first band didn't hit the stage till gone 10:30, a young bunch of 3 who played a pop/punk set enjoyed by a young fan club. Er! next. Then up stepped a duo of a young spiky haired girl and a guy playing guitar. They were ok the drummer especially was very good. I told her latter if she carried on she could some day rival Janet. Next up the Untitled Musical Project. These were ok, a three piece of shouty punkish tunes. Problem here was some idiot in the crowd close to me who kept shouting "turn the guitars down and the vocals up". This prompted a lot of banter between the band and said person which was amusing most of the time.


The Victorians didn't get on till 1:15 am. Worth the wait though. One of the reasons I like them is that they are different every time you see them. This time they started with Em's walking from the back of the venue clanging a bell (see pic) They opened with a new song I didn't know then played the latest single "La Mer" which was really good live. In total they played five new songs all of which had the trademark TVEGC stamp of eccentricity. They also had a new gadget set up on a pillar at the front. A radio type thing that made weird noises, seen bottom left of above pic. Again I really enjoyed them, they never fail to disappoint. After the show Emma and Louise came out to their small merch table so I went over to say hi. They have a book now (last 3 times I've seen them) that they ask people to put comments in. I have my own page that I put a comment in the last 2 times, so I added to it. Ok I'm a total sad case. I told Em's the new stuff was sounding good, she told me they were still working on other new material too. When speaking to Louise I told her I was making the trip to the Sheffield show as they are playing with some friends of mine VVC. Lou said she was looking forward to seeing them as she hadn't seen them live before. She asked me if they were good. Of course. I told her of Sians thick bass lines, Jens chunky guitar and stage presence and Davids solid rhythm, sold to gorgeous Louise Mason, I thank you.


Oh, I forgot during a gap between bands I got chatting to a girl photographer who I rcognised from most Liverpool gigs I go to. She was at the MM show last week and the Silversun show. We had a good chat and she gave me her web ad so I can view all her photies. A lovely girl who's head I have captured on many occasion in shots at shows as she's in the front line.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "a non-stage lip." Could be a UK<->American thing. The stage looks really weird though, like it has a 360 degree view of the crowd. Wow, 1:15AM is a really late start but yeah, favorite bands are always worth it!

Just what is it with women playing basses? Louis *is* super cute! And you got to talk to her!

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home