Monday, August 06, 2007

The Sugars.

The Sugars, Liverpool Barfly 3/8/07.

Shot off from work to get the 5:15 train, got to the station to be told train cancelled. The next one was 5:45. Now the next train was jam packed but managed to get a seat and got to Liverpool at 6:30. I checked the venue and had a wander round, strangely I wasn't feeling hungry so didn't bother going for something to eat. I've been feeling full of cold the last week so have been off food sort of.
I got into the Barfly just about 8pm, bought a drink and had a wander round. I went to where the merch desk was and recognised the guy from the Sugars. I said "Hi you're from the Sugars aren't you?" he shook my hand and said "Hi I'm Mat". I asked him how things were going, he

said not too bad but they had a tough night in Cardiff last night. "Nothing good comes out of there". Er, the VEG Club and Los Campesinos I replied, the first two off the top of my head. Anyway he made a bit of arse of himself, probably didn't realise he was speaking to a Welshman.

The support bands were a shite cover type band (mostly) and then a band called Heartstring who were ----.

When the Sugars came on there was not that much of a crowd, about 50/60. I went up to the front, right of Corin as there was no one else remotely near the stage. They play a more bluesy/rockabilly style of punky rock, there that covers most genres doesn't it. They weren't bad though in fairness. Most vocals are by Mat but some songs were sung by Anna the bass player. She swaps between bass and guitar and is pretty good it has to be said.

I'm not sure about the drummer though, in fairness again she was set quite back and mostly obscured by Mat, so I didn't see too much of her. They played all their myspace songs, the only ones I know. I think they were at their best when Anna picked up guitar and they played in the S-K format of two guitarists and a drummer.

I can't truly make my mind up here. I can't say they weren't good 'cus they were, but I can't say they were great.

I'm going to put these on hold and say I have not been well all week (I nearly didn't go in truth) and hope if I see them again I'll feel better and make a truer assessment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Heh the Welsman thing was pretty funny but I'm sure a bit embarassing for him.

Honestly, I don't know if there was a band that I was neutral on that I ended up liking the second time but seems like you liked them ok.

Word Verification: odded

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home