Sunday, July 22, 2007

Marnie Stern

Star & Garter, Manchester, 18/7/07.

Got back to Manchester in plenty of time to have a quick wander round Piccadilly records (didn't buy anything) and go and get something to eat.

As usual I went to check the venue at about 7pm, there was a guy stood outside who I got chatting to. He said they would be letting people upstairs at about 7:30 ish. He also said that they had sold more advance tickets for this show than any before. With it still being early I nipped to a good pub I know up the road from Piccadilly.

Got back to the S & G at about 7:50 and went in. The venue is an upstairs room which isn't bad but till they let you upstairs you have to have a drink in the bar. As mentioned before the S & G is a real basic "ale 'ouse" the people who drink here have miss-spelt tattoos and bent noses. They eventually let people up at about 8:30. I went up bought a drink at the bar and took up residence Carries side (unusually) I'd done my research and I knew Marnie set up stage left (jeez I'm a sad case!). One of the support acts, Lonelady, who I really like and have been keeping an eye on for a while, sent me a message saying she had to pull out at the last minute. She was stuck in Cardiff with transport trouble unfortunately. Shame I was looking forward to catching up with her. I spotted Marnie at the back of the venue at her merch table. I asked a guy who had also secured a place at the front of the stage to look after my beer while I went to say hi and see if there was anything worth buying. I said hi to Marnie and got her to sign my Cd sleeve (yes I took it with me) and told her I loved the album. She's a cute little thing with lovely blue eyes, but she has a quirky nature about her somehow.

Two support acts played not worth mentioning except the second band called Kong who wore masks and the bass player stripped down to his y-fronts. They tried to play an intimidation type rock that just came over as comical to be honest, or were they trying to be comical? who cares.

When it was time for Marnie to come on the place had filled quite well, actually the most people I've seen at the S & G. Marnie plays with another guitarist and a drummer, no bass player. Her set comprised of course of all the album (almost I think) and one song I didn't recognise. She certainly is a virtuoso guitarist and fascinating to watch. Her voice too didn't come over as squeaky as I thought it might. I'll also give a shout here to the secondary guitarist who too was an excellent musician. It was about half way through the set I noticed. All eyes are on Marnie of course but the other guy was also a very good guitar player, also the drummer held them together well. In all another good show. I left not long after she finished and went down stairs and out only to find Marnie sat on the floor outside getting some air, I said my "goodbye" and "enjoyed the show" etc and walked off into the er! nearest bar, oops!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw her she did a song which sounded very must like an (even more tortured) cover of one of the songs off the first PJ Harvey album. I genuinely couldn't work out if it was a cover or one of Marnie's own.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:42:00 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

She's coming out here next month I think. Same venue as where Laura Veirs played. Nice to live in a big city, eh?

Kong sounds totally out of place... maybe they were the last minute replacement for Lonelady?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:50:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

Halfway through the "unknown song" my mind turned to cover mode but for some reason I didn't think of PJ. Wether it was or not we'll probably never know, but I'm going to work on the theory it was an MS original.

It's probably a good job I don't live in a city like SF Andy. I'd be at a gig every night, and bankrupt within 3 months. I don't even think I could cope in London.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:24:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home