Friday, June 29, 2007

Deerhoof.

Deerhoof, Barfly Liverpool 24/6/07.


I was off this Sunday so decided to go up to Liverpool on the 3:15 train to arrive about 4 pm. Got to my hotel and booked in. I went to see if the French restaurant I used last time was a) open on a Sunday b) still there! I haven't been to Liverpool to eat for a while. Positive on both accounts. I then went to check the venue, I quite like the Barfly it's my favorite venue in Liverpool. I had a wander round for a while and decided to go and eat at about 5:45 ish.
After a nice meal and a quick pint at a fave pub I got to the Barfly at about 7:40.

I had a venue pick-up ticket so the guys on the door took a quick look at my confirmation e-mail, stamped my hand and let me in. There were only a few people there at this point, but the opening band, called, Stig were setting up. They quickly got going much to everybody surprise, well mine.
They were ok though, quite quirky with a guy who played trumpet and a guy sat down playing a form of slide guitar.

Next up were a Scottish band I've checked out before called Danananakroyd. Again not bad I'll keep an eye on them and see how they go. By now the venue was pretty full so I took up residence at the front of the stage, Corin's side.

Another band came on called Kit, these were quite good. The lead singer was a girl who was cute and held the stage well. I can't seem to find any info on them though. I'll keep trying.

By the time the Hoof came on the place was packed and I had a great position at the front right in front of Greg's drum kit. He only plays a very limited kit, a bass drum a standard drum (I forget it's proper name) a hi-hat and a cowbell. I like the way he plays I've never seen anyone use a kit like that before. Greg plays off all the rims and the stands of his kit. How he tunes them I've no idea, fascinating to watch though. They opened up with the title track of the Milkman album then played a load of stuff off the new album. One highlight being "the perfect me". Satomi is great to watch too, she's quite

tiny but can really rock out with her bass. I like her contradictory vocal style too, which comes across better live than on record I think. During "Dog" she came up to the front row with a small fluffy toy in her hand and made everyone stoke it, I thought the guy next to me was going to pinch it off her but he didn't.

At the end I nipped up and grabbed Greg's set list, much to the annoyance of the guy next to me. I think he had his eye on it too, Ha!! As I got back Greg came out and started chatting to us at the front. I said about his drum style, he just laughed, shrugged his shoulders and said "it's just the way I play".

I also got a show poster for £2, but there were no T's which was a shame. I'm glad I finally got to see the Hoof though, really enjoyable.

There's an e-mail going off to Stuart Maconie with some pics tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Ah Deerhoof... their instrumentation (?) is amazing but damnit if her voice gets in the way of all that. It must be an asian thing for me. But then again I LOVE Cibo Matto so there you go.

I noticed the drummers sparse kit as well, reminded me of the drummer for The Thermals.

Friday, June 29, 2007 11:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home