Monday, June 25, 2007

You Say Party! We Say Die!

Night & Day, Manchester 22/6/07.

Had a bit of a nightmare getting to Manchester on this evening. I got the 4:54 train and everything was going ok until the train stopped about a minute outside Newton-Le-Willows, which is the last stop before we get to Manchester. After about 15/20 mins it was announced the emergency brakes had come on and someone was coming to fix them. Ten mins latter they announced the train had "failed" we were then towed to Newton station told to get off the train and a new one would come and take us to Manchester. While all this was going on there was a huge thunder storm and it was pouring with rain. After about 15 mins stood at Newton station and no sign of a relief train I just asked if any 3 other people fancied sharing a taxi to Manchester to spread the cost. One guy said he would and another chap said he and his mate had to get there asap, as they were going to see a show at the MEN arena. We eventually got a taxi and I got to my hotel at about 8pm. The lucky traveller tag has taken a dent there I think!
So not too bad for time I chuck my stuff in my room and get to the N & D at about 8:20 ish.

The support band were called the Alones from Stoke a three piece band who were ok the singer/guitarist had a very Liamesque feel about him and they played just standard pop-punk tunes. That said they were ok and watchable.

It was not long before YSPWSD started setting up. I saw them twice last year and they are a band that do translate very well live. In fact I'd go as far to say they are better live than on record, and they're damn fine on
record Their new album had only come out on Monday so I only had 4 days to get acquainted with it. It's typical YSP though and not too dissimilar to their previous album. So I knew what to expect.

Becky came on sporting her usual mask and they opened with a new song. I'm not up to speed on the titles of the new material yet. Most of the set was from "Loose all time" with some old favorites. I think I've mentioned before how good Becky is live. She dances using ballerina type moves to the songs which makes her so watchable, the trouble is you can tend to focus to much on her and forget how good the rest of the band are.

Again YSPWSD impressed imensley and remain a great live band. I would have thought the new interest for upbeat dance/punk in this country may have brought them a bigger audience. More airplay on radio and a higher profile, though I get the impression they arn't far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home