Sunday, July 08, 2007

Half term report.

So here we are 6 months into 2007, jeez it's going quick.
Where to start?

Ok fave albums of the year so far in no order :-
Actually I'm going to divide these into new (to me) artists and established (to me) artists.

NEW

The Ponys - Turn out the lights.
The Hedrons - One more wont kill me.
Land of talk - Applause cheers boo hiss.
Marnie Stern - In advance of the broken arm.
Love of Diagrams - Mosaic.
Grinderman - Grinderman.
Jets Overhead - Bridges.
Sailplanes - A second or ten years latter.

ESTABLISHED.

Kristin Hersh - Learn to sing like a star.
Laura Veirs - Saltbreakers.
Mary Timony - The shapes we make.
Deerhoof - Friend opportunity.
Modest Mouse - We were dead before the ship even sank.
Ted Leo - Living with the living.
Blonde Redhead - 23.
BRMC - Baby 81
Help she can't swim - The death of nightlife.
Electrelane - No shouts no calls.
You say party we say die - Lose all time.

There have also been some other great buys, but I can't list them because they were not released this year, it's my rule.
Bitch Alert, Figurines, Wet Confetti, Lonelady, Ill Ease, The Ettes, all good stuff.
I thought I was down on purchases this year but if I buy as many for the next 6 months as I have up till now I'll come out average for the last several years.

GIGS.
Been pretty good up till now. For the first 4/5 months I was doing about 1 a week. It's slowed down now as it is festival season and there isn't much about I find. Anyhow beyond that the future looks good.

So my fave shows of the year, again not in order.

Kristin, 3 nights in a row - awesome.
Silversun Pickups - N&D. (best live band I've seen in ages)
Decemberists - Academy (just great fun)
The Veg club - N&D (Love the way they're different every time)
Land of Talk - N&D (great musicians, and good to watch)
YSPWSD - N&D (Always a great band live, Becky's so entertaining)
Deerhoof - Barfly (didn't realise they'd be so minimalistic, great though)
Ponys - Late Rooms(Shame I was the only person stood watching, again musicianship excellent)
Joan - Club Academy (A good night, J was really relaxed)
BRS - N&D (They make such a great noise for 2 innocent faces)
Laura Veirs - Academy (Plugged in she is superb, her band were on form this night)

One thing I must mention is the amount of cancelled shows. For some reason I've had 7 cancel on me so far this year, it used to be about 1 in 10 now it's 1 in 4, strange.
So there you go a brief review of the first 6 months.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Electrelane's No Shouts No Calls! Electrelane is definitely my find of the year. If I had a timleline of the greats it would be: S-K, Tussle, EE, then Electrelane. I wish I listened to them sooner. :(

Bummer about the cancellations. I think I had two (Swan Island and Electrelane).

Wet Confetti made the list! Sort of. The drummer is incredible. What is it about Portland drummers? (Janet, Wet Confetti, and Talkdemonic)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:21:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home