Thursday, July 19, 2007

A big day in the north

Levenshulme, Bolton, Manchester. 18/7/07.


With being off work this Wed and going to see Marnie Stern in Manchester, I decided to spend the day doing some research. I wanted to check Levenshulme (a Manchester suburb) to see whether it was possible to get to and get from the Vile Vile Creatures gig a week Saturday. I also wanted to check out a pub in Bolton where a band I've been listening too is playing this Saturday, The Ettes. They are playing two dates in London and this pub in Bolton, this was rattling my curiosity. Again I wanted to see whether it was possible to get there on Sat after work and if there was anywhere to stay.
With staying in Manchester the night I had to take my work clothes etc to work, save carrying them round all day. So up fairly early, deliver my stuff to work then on to the station to get the 9:19 train to Crewe then a connection to Levenshulme. Jeez Levenshulme is a s**it hole, the place the Creatures are playing is a sports/social club up the road from the station (it took me ages to find though). Ok there's nowhere to stay round here, so can I get out after the the gig? Last train 23:54, also buses run fairly regularly up till 1 am with it being a Saturday. This is logistically possible then, my main problem now can I get to work on the Sunday morning ?

With this information gathered, I get the next train to Manchester Piccadilly. I now get a return ticket to Bolton, I have to get the Blackpool train which leaves from platform 14 (same as the Chester/North Wales route). From this platform you can see the Star & Garter pub where I'm going to see Marnie Stern tonight.

I get to Bolton about 12:30 ish, I have a rough idea where the Dog &Partridge is so I walk up to the center of town. Whilst walking I keep an eye for anywhere to stay for a night. This is Bolton the possibility of there being a hotel/ guest house in the center is remote. I keep a look out anyway. I get to where I think the place is but no sign, I then spot a lovely looking old pub called "Ye Olde Wench & Trinkets" I can't pass the opportunity of not popping in there for a pint. I need to ask where the "Dog" is anyway!!
Ye Olde Wench was a tremendous old pub, stone floors, some interesting side rooms and just not messed around with as too many old pubs have been these days. I ask the barmaid where the "Dog" is she tells me it's just up the road, she knows because they go there after work at the weekend. I have a brief chat with her and decide to go and check the place out.
The Dog & Partridge 1:15 ish Wed afternoon, closed!! Ok, I'll take a closer look, there's a poster in the window and yep top right as billed The Ettes. Why are they playing just two London shows and this pub in Bolton??

Who knows, anyway looks like it's on. My problem now is can I find anywhere to stay. I nip into another pub up the road and ask if there is anywhere to stay in the town center. No is the reply, there's a Travelodge by the station and a hotel just up the road and some B&B's out of town. I decide to check out the hotel. I find it ok and ask about a rate for this Sat, £45 for a single room.
I'll have to have a think about this one, again logistically it's possible but I'm not sure whether I'll make the trip this sat.
I think I will make the effort to see the Creatures as it's their last gig before they set out into the big wide world with gigs in Berlin and London.
I head back to the station and get the next train back to Piccadilly. I get back, book into my hotel and look forward to the Marnie Stern gig.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not called the wench and trinkets. its the man and scythe. oldest pub in bolton, and u cant even get it right.
christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:12:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

Thank you.
Sorry if I got it wrong not deliberate I assure you.
What's this 'christ' you talk of???

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:08:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

christ is a figment of the churches imagination.
lol

Monday, June 02, 2008 3:00:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

Yes 'anonymous' is right, the pub is called Ye Olde Man & Scythe, the gift shop next door is called Ye Olde Wench & Trinkets. Have a look at our lovely joint website www.yeoldemanandscythe.com (shame on me!)
Thanks,
Becky. (shameless plugger and manager of Ye Olde Wench & Trinkets)

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:59:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home