Friday, July 13, 2007

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Academy, Liverpool 11/7/07.

Normal shenanigans, darted from work got the 5:15 train got to Liverpool at 6. I anticipated this would be a well attended show so I went straight to check the venue after getting to Lime St. There were a few people outside when I got there but they were all staff who had come outside for a smoke. I decided to pop to a pub I know round the corner, and had a quick pint and a ham salad roll (mmm lovely!!). I hadn't booked to stay overnight as I thought I could get the last train home (11:28). To cover myself I'd arranged with Nathan (my nephew), to crash at his place if I had a problem.


I got back to the Academy at 6:30, again there were a few people hanging around outside. I went up and parked up against the wall at the entrance. There were three girls stood there chatting away and it was obvious they were hardcore fans. They asked me about the venue and just general stuff really. They were hardcore, they asked if I was registered on the BRMC site etc. They seemed to shy away when I said I wasn't a registered fan. This amused me somewhat, they were pleasant though and not your archetypal "rock chick" I'd expected (hope that doesn't sound sexist, but you know what I mean).

At 7 there was a crowd of about 30 ish fans waiting, the doors opened, on time. I went in following said girls. when we got to the stage the girls split up two went well stage right and one center right. I followed to center right. The reason I'm not keen on the Academy in Liverpool is the barrier they have set approx 4' from the stage. It comes to chest height on me. I did think here this could get a bit lively and I could get crushed a bit. Aw well, I've been here before, give as good as you get I thought.


The support band came on and I missed their name I had to ask "hardcore girl" next to me who they were. It was the Black Angels, I'd checked these out some time ago. Not struck by them personally, they're a Texas band who play a form of folk rock with a southern tinge. Live they weren't bad though but I won't be running to buy their stuff.

By the time they had finished the place was full and tightly packed in. I was ok up against the barrier as there was still room for a bit of manoeuvre.

BRMC came on and opened with "Took out a loan" the opening track of the new album. They sounded superb, the sound was crisp an loud. The way the lighting was set up for them made it difficult for me to get good shots. I was too busy rockin' my ass off anyway. The early part of the set they played mostly new stuff it was when they played "weapon of choice" that the place erupted. I was really rammed up against the barrier, awkward chest height too. I asked hardcore girl to my left if she was ok, silly really she was obviously a veteran of BRMC shows. It calmed down a bit after that as they played some of their more broody material. Robert and Peter occasionally swapped sides, they had another guitarist who came on and played on the occasional song too. They finished the set with "American X" which I swear lasted 15 mins, absolutely rocked the place though. At the end they left the stage, except Peter. He picked up an acoustic guitar and played a couple of songs off the previous album. Then the rest came out again and said they were told they had 15 more mins left. They then played stuff off the first album which went down great.

In all an excellent live band, they sounded good and had a charisma about them. Yeah it was a lively show but then I expected that, so it didn't ruin it. I did manage to make the last train too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same opening band as when I saw them. I wasn't too big on them either. Sounds like that crowd was much more into it.. though there are benefits to not being squashed against the stage! They sure put on a great show though!

~Kori

Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:57:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree about the opening band but I liked them a bit more than both of you. Their psychedlic jams were pretty nice live but yeah, nothing I would buy an album for.

Considering the fact that I'm not a huge BRMC fan, I thought the live show was fantastic. I definitely prefer that one dudes voice (curly longish hair) over the other (too nasally).

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home