Friday, June 01, 2007

Land of Talk

Night & Day, Manchester 23/5/07.


Got to the N & D in plenty of time here because L o T were the support act to Besnard Lakes. I wasn't sure if there was anyone else on the bill either. There wasn't.

As usual I was not sure what size crowd BS would attract. By the time proceedings got going there weren't too many people there 100 at the most.


Land of Talk are a three piece Canadian band led by singer/guitarist Lizzie. I got their 7 song mini album a few weeks ago and love it. They came on and started with "Speak to me bones" the opening song on the record. It was immediately obvious the sound was really good. Lizzy playing a red strat has a peculiar way of playing. She strums her guitar very often almost on the neck. She stoops and bobs about quite

a lot too. It was noticeable too that the bass player (I tend to notice them) was an excellent musician. Let's put it this way he will never be out of a job. The one thing that was not quite right was that the drummer was set too far back. A problem that often happens at the N & D. Lizzie often was at the back playing at the drummer. That said it was a trivial thing. After about 6 songs most of them, well all but one were off the CD. I shouted out for "All my friends" my fave tune on it, Lizzie said "hey a request, we've never had a request this side of the pond before". "Were gonna play it next".

They ended their set on "friends" which was great as they drew it out to a climax. In all I really enjoyed them, all excellent musicians, good sound and interesting to watch. I went and had a chat with them after bought a 7" and got them to sign it. I'm now known to them as request guy, embarrassingly.

I really love this (mini) album. I like the slight grungy sound on the guitars, and Lizzies vocals. The fact that is only seven songs long makes you wanting more. I wish more bands would produce smaller albums, I've never been keen on overlong or double albums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home