Sunday, May 06, 2007

Partyline & Vile Vile Creatures

The Retro Bar - Manchester 2/5/07.

Usual routine get a flyer from work and the train up to Manchester. I got to the hotel about 6:15 and booked in. While I was there I booked rooms for the up and coming gigs I have, EE, The Ponys, Help She Can't Swim and Silversun Pickups.

I wasn't sure what time doors were as I had a venue pickup ticket. I figured it would be either 7:30 or 8 pm. so decided to aim to get there about 7:45 ish. I decided not to go for something to eat as for some reason I wasn't hungry. It was a really hot day and there was a strange atmosphere in town due to a certain football match most Mancunians would be watching this night. I reacquainted myself with the location of the venue and decided to go for a drink down the road.

Ok my first mistake, wandered int a bar and as I hadn't eaten I asked for a glass of white wine. I was informed by the barmaid that a glass would cost me £2.80 but I could have a bottle for £5. I bought a bottle, so I had about 30 mins to drink it and get back to the venue, jeez I'm an idiot at times. Anyway I drink up, feel ok and I get back to the Retro at 7:45. The doors were open so I walked down the stairs and in. There was no one to check I had a ticket or whatever so I
just walked in. I spotted Jen, Sian and David sat down so I wandered over to say hi. As I suspected Jen was a little nervous as she had had a stressful day. They unveiled their first piece of vinyl titled Widerness (pic above). I purchased one and got them to sign it. I think I may have been the first to buy one and in retrospect I should have bought two. Thanks anyway people.

I bought a drink at the bar and took up residence Carries side, don't know why really. Second gig in a row going stage left, what's goin' on? Ok next gig back to Corins side I promise.


First band on were a five piece all girl band whose name I don't remember, sorry. They were ok though. They played electro pop rock and the singer read her lyrics from a pad. That's all I can remember.


Next up were an Italian duo called Trouble -something or other, I'm crap with names. They were quite good and very quirky. At first the thought was what the hell are these doin' here but after a tune or two I quite liked them. Typical Italian electro punk.

Next up the Creatures.

First thing the stage here was smaller that the one at the Star & Garter where I saw them last time. I noticed that while they were setting up they had changed sides. This time Jen was stage right and Sian left different than the S&G gig. Again they were very enjoyable. I like David and Sians rhythm section and again Jen added the edge of unpredictability. Again Jen did her thing with her megaphone. Her leaping into the audience didn't have the same effect here though as there was no "stage" to speak of , but still great fun. Their set seemed to be over really quick though and by now the bottle of wine I was forced to buy was taking its effect.

By the time Partyline came on my head was spinning a bit and in all honesty I don't remember too much of their set. I just remember Alison just dancing round and being very gesticulative (pro0bably not a word) with her arms. I do remember them being very talkative though, there was a lot of banter between the band. Oh yeah the drummer was I think the brother of the normal one as she was well somewhere else!! I did enjoy them though and seeing Alison Wolfe close up was good.

Ok this is probably the least informative review I've done, sorry.

Note to self:- When offered a bottle of wine for £5 refuse it and buy a glass for £3. Hmmm!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh! You got VVC's 7 inch! Yes, you definitely should have picked up two and sent one to me. :P I've been waiting for them to just release their song as downloads but 7 inch?! T_T

I love Alison. She has so much fun even if the crowd doesn't know what to make of her (the last two shows here). It's infectious at least for me.

Think of the extra 2 pounds you paid for the bottle as insurance!

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:56:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home