Saturday, May 19, 2007

Creatures Tan Wierdo's

Vile Vile Creatures, Fake Tan and Party Weirdo.

The Castle Hotel, Manchester 13/5/07

As I stayed over after the HSCS show I decided to hang around and catch up with the Creatures again. They were putting on a tea time show with two other bands. Fake Tan who I know and Party Weirdo who I don't.

As I had to be out of my hotel by 11am it meant I had 5 hours to kill. This was dangerous as I would have been so easy to explore some of my fave Manchester pubs. I made the decision to stay out of the pub until I went to the "Tea time tango". I visited the city gallery which was good. It was so peaceful wandering round there on a Sunday morning. I virtually had the place to myself. I then just walked round, armed with my map I walked a circular route round the city center taking in areas I didn't know.I decided to go for something to eat at about 2:30ish, this should time it right to get to tango at near enough 4. I went to my usual fave French restaurant (I know, yawn!). Being a Sunday afternoon I was a great time to people watch too. As it turned out I didn't leave till gone 4pm.
I got to the Castle Hotel at about 4:20 ish, just as the Creatures were sound checking. The Castle Hotel? mmm! is one of those small neglected pubs, not a Hotel, in the Northern Quarter that should be put down. OK, it isn't that bad just one of those places of the dive variety.


I said my hi's to everyone. I told Jen I wanted to buy another 7" to send to Andy, as he had added them as a my space friend and likes their sound.

First band up were Fake Tan a three piece from Leeds who I'd seen with V V C before. I was not that impressed first time but I took to them here. They seemed tighter and I liked the drummers little runs and sense of rhythm. The two girls up front seemed more in tune with each other too.

The Creatures came up next. With them being basically in the corner of the back room in some dodgy pub it was more intimate. The restricted space seemed to work for them too. Jen put more energy into her guitar playing and vocal work. Sian on the other hand really seemed to bounce around a lot more. So much so twice they had to stop to find where Sian's glasses had flown off to, priceless! At one point too she had to receive medical attention in the form of a thumb plaster. Play your bass that hard it makes your thumb bleed, great stuff. David too was on good form, I like his drumming style and his facial expressions. I think I enjoyed this set more, I don't know why perhaps it was the intimacy of it and and its little moments of chaos.

Last to play were a band called Party Weirdo, who I'd never come across before. They were ok, they used a variety of instruments. These included keys, cello and a glockenspiel, it made for an interesting set.

In all a good entertaining afternoon. I went and had a chat with people after and got the Creatures to sign their 7". I made a donation to the bands fund jar as that's all they were asking people to do. I said my goodbyes just before 8 pm and made my way back to Piccadilly and got the train home.
I was quite tired by now as I'd seen 6 bands in 24 hours. Well as I always say to myself, it beats watching TV. I love the interaction with new people too, even if they think I'm nuts!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Thanks again for the 7"! I really would love to see VVC here.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:17:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home