Monday, May 14, 2007

Help She Can't Swim.

Satan's Hollow - Manchester - 12/5/07.

Got to Manchester at 7pm, got to my hotel and literally chucked my stuff in my room. I then headed of to Satan's Hollow a venue I have not been to before. I was not sure what time doors were so I went straight there to find out. When I got there a couple of lads were stood outside
who reckoned doors were at 8pm. It was now 7:25
so I nipped across the road to a little pub for a quick pint. I nipped into the tiny Grey Horse Inn a tiny little pub selling Hyde's ale a good local brew. I ordered a pint after a couple of sips I thought wow now there is a beer on form. I wolfed the pint down in a matter of minutes and ordered another one. It's great when you get a good real ale on top form. I nipped back to the venue at about five to eight and they were getting ready to open the doors. As I had a venue pickup ticket I asked the guy on the door where to pick it up. As I did he said you can go in now.
As the name Satan's Hollow suggests the place was done out with all sort of devilish features and gargoyles etc. The main point here was that the stage area was in the round and positioned in the center of the place. I bought a drink and worked out which direction the bands would be playing. At that moment tones of dry ice started to be pumped into the place, making it barley possible to see anything.

The first band who came on were an electro punk band, a three piece who swapped instruments practically ever song. I couldn't photograph them because of the bloody dry ice.
I didn't catch their name either, noting to shout about though. Next up were a band I have already heard of and checked out called Pistolas who
are ok. In fact I'm sure Ive seen them
before, they could not have made that much of an impression then. The lead singer is quite watchable and has a good stage presence. Think on the lines of Curtis but a bit less intense.

While HSCS were setting up I noticed a girl stood next to me had an S-K bag over her shoulder. I was wondering whether to say anything to her. By now I started to recognise some of the people around me, including S-K bag girl. Mostly from Creatures and the Partyline show last week. Just as HSCS were about to start "Burn don't freeze" came on over the PA. The group of girls to my right sent out a yelp and started to sing along. I was fairly center stage and the ice had cleared by now so thankfully I could get some pics. As I only got the new album a few days before the gig I was not too up on the new material. I do like the album though it's less screemy than the first one. They played a good but short set (bloody curfews) highlight being Hospital Drama off the new album which totally rocked.
After I went over to merch table were Leesey was and told her I'd seen them last year supporting S-K in Bristol. "Ah!" she said "I thought I recognised you from somewhere" Jeez do I stand out that much?
Anyway I told her I liked the new record and made my way into the night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nearly bought the album yesterday but at the last minute switched it for the reissue of The Pop Group's "Y". Let me know how you get on with it after a few more listens.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home