Monday, February 19, 2007

The Victorian English Gentlemans Club (again) & Welcome

Manchester, Night & Day, 14/2/07


Managed to get an early dart from work to catch the 16:54 train. Got myself sorted and out on the street by 18:20, I decided to go and eat before going to the gig. I wasn't sure about this taking into account the date!. Anyway got a table in one of the places I found last time round, an English/Med restaurant. English food in, errr! England, so bloody rare you have to take advantage when the opportunity strikes. Had a lovely meal though. I must just make a mention to a great piece of theater that happened. A couple came in obviously on a Valentines date. They got shown to a table and the guy before the waiter got chance pulled a chair back for the young lady to sit. She was too busy saying thanks to the waiter, didn't notice and pulled her own chair and sat down. The guy was left standing there like a lemon. The girl eventually noticed to her embarrassment. See girls chivalry isn't dead, it just goes unnoticed at times.


Got to the N &D about 19:50, a couple of support act played first band were ok second were awful. As I had suspected there wasn't much of an audience, again due to the date.

Welcome came on they are a band from Seattle. I bought their album last year and quite liked it. It didn't set the world alight but you can't say it wasn't interesting. They played a good set most of the stuff of the album. One thing noticeable though the level of musicianship, as musicians they were top notch. Played their instruments with ease, their stuff contains some complicated runs, rhythms and licks all played excellently.
The VEG Club started to set up. I noticed imediatley a differant set up. Emma was setting her kit up on "Corins" side (stage right for the uninitiated). Adams mike was set forward of Louise' and Lou's (obviousley) towards the back. When they were ready to start Lou (lookin' hot by the way) went to the very rear of the stage, almost off stage and stood on a box and began the bass line into "Stupid as wood". I love the way Lou (still lookin' hot) positions herself at differant places to start songs.
I liked the way they set up for this show, again showing imagination which is rare these days.
Their set contained about three new songs which sounded good too. I think this was the best I've seen 'em their edginess was just at the right level to compliment the tune craft.
After the show I spotted the Welcome people watching from the side so I went over to say hi and that I enjoyed their album from last year. They seemed surprised I actually had it. I chatted with them about the state of music in the Pacific Northwest and why it seems to be such a hotbed for great music.
I then noticed Emma had taken up residence at the merch table. I went over to have a chat and buy a T, a black one with the scissor logo on. Emma told me they were going into the studio tomorrow to record some of the new material, I told her they should stay on a bit longer and record a full album.
I really do like this band, they are so different to anyone else. They are good live, change things round are edgy yet structured. Not many other people seem to have taken them up, Aw well! just me then. Oh! did I mention Lou's hot, ooops!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to give them a listen again. You know I have a major soft spot for any band with a female bassist.

Speaking of giving bands a listen, Korina was playing Controller Controller (who she heard from yr posts on s-k.net) recently in her car and I liked them quite a bit.

Friday, February 23, 2007 7:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home