Sunday, December 24, 2006

My top albums of 2006

I'll start by saying that the first four albums here are actually in a tie there is no clear "winner" as such. It would do each of them an injustice to say any one of them is better than the other.
1. Erase Errata. Nightlife.
Yeah they sound like the name. Three ladies whose first few albums are short sharp angular punk tunes. Hmm where have we heard that before. Love this slice of angular punk, I really love the sound they create. Jenny's guitar at first comes across as erratic, but on closer inspection is very clever. Backed admirably by Ellie's base and the excellent drumming of Bianca. Great album.

2. The Victorian English Gentleman's Club. S/T.
The best way to describe this would be an eccentric British version of EE. Similar set up, a three piece. Angular guitar throbbing bass, courtesy of Louise Mason and again an excellent drummer in Emma Damon. This is so different than anything else out there which is why it caught my ear I suppose. They're good live too.
3. The Rogers Sisters. The invisible deck
Another three piece. Think Yeah Yeah Yeah's crossed with Sonic Youth with a tinge of the Velvet Underground. What I love about this is the varied track length, from 3 min sharp rock to 8 min drawn out art rock. Superb live too.
4. The Gossip. Standing in the way of control.
This is the album that has broken the Gossip in this country. The media went mad for Beth, NME even naming her coolest person on the planet. This is soulful dance punk at its best though. You won't find a better bass line than the title track anywhere.
5. Midlake. The trials of Van Occupanther.
My discovery of the year (OK with the RS and TVEGC) I ordered this in after reading a review. As soon as I got it I started raving about it. I mailed Stuart Maconie and Gideon Coe (R6) about it to no avail. 4 month down the line they finally pick up on it. I t now appears on every top 10 list I've seen. This is warm folk rock that has beautiful arrangements, and has a lovely old world theme running through it. The years "beautiful" album.
6. Controller Controller. X Amounts.
Of the contingent of the Canadian bands I've listened too this year this is probably the most consistent album. I can't remember how I came across them (probably heard a song on R6).
AH! I've just remembered, would you believe I saw a poster in the Night & Day in Manchester at the Giant Drag gig. The power of advertising eh! I checked em out, bought the album and here we are. Just a consistently good rock 'n' roll record.
7. Quasi. When the going gets dark.
I think this is Sam and Janets most consistent album. I love the eclectic feel the off kilter arrangements, all played with great musicianship. J brought in Dave Fridman to produce (Woods) which is why J's drum sound is much better than other Quasi records, imo.
8. Keith. Red Tread.
Now I did discover these on R6, they played a session for Gideon . I liked what I heard so bought the album. Best point of ref here is Turin Brakes, but more key led. Another album that has a good variety of track length. A lovely album though.
9. Silversun Pickups. Carnavas.
Another great discovery. I think it was Insound I read a review of this so ordered it in and was not disappointed. It was an album that took several plays to get really under the skin but once there you realise what a great record it is.
10. Joan as Policewoman. Real Life.
I'd been tracking Ms Wasser for a while, got her EP early in the year but it was the full album everyone was waiting for. My favorite singer songwriter album of the year. Lovely arrangements again, as she is an excellent musician.



The next 10- not in order (well I change my mind every hour).
CSS - Cansei de ser sexy (Dance yr ass off!!)
Metric - Live it out (Great dance punk)
The Long Blondes - Someone to drive you home (think Jarvis/Pulp)
You say party we say die - Hit the floor (again dancy punk at it's best)
Giant Drag - Hearts & Unicorns (Annie is nuts)
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped (the youff back and doin' what they do best)
Sound Movement - Ichi go ichi e (shoegaze)
The Organ - grab that gun (think The Smiths, but Canadian girls )
Two ton boa - Parasiticide (great bass lines)
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam. (their best for many a year)


Damn there are so many others to mention - The Decemberists, Broken Social Scene, Calexico. Sod it I could go on and on, so I'll stop.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Great choice for best album of the year! :p Seriously, it's a tight album and all three of them sound so amazing in their own way but also as the three together.

You know I loved Rogers Sisters live and then didn't think much of their album but the more I listen the more I like. I particularly like "Money Matters."

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 6:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home