Friday, February 23, 2007

The Long Blondes

Manchester Academy, 18/2/07

Got away from work early, blah blah blah.
My hotel is literally across from the Academy and I noticed when I walked past at about 5:30pm there were already a group of people outside. I did think this would be a well attended show. Anyway I got sorted and went to eat at the pub round the corner (not a thing I normally would do, but necessity rained here). Got to venue about 6:30 and joined a queue of about 30/40. Probably waited about 45mins till the doors opened (ha! that was easy!!) Anyway got in handy and cuz I knew where I was going I got to front row (up against the friggin' barrier).
I don't know why but I actually did feel old here the venue was packed with 16/17 year olds, saying that the guy next to me was in his thirties (I think).
A couple of bands played nowt too exciting but ok. The main support were a band from Leeds called The ? damn! the name has gone, I'll get it eventually. They were ok two guys and a girl on drums, who was excellent.

The Long Blondes came on a five piece from Sheffield three girls and two guys. The lead singer is Kate Jackson who comes on wearing hot pants and a beret`. The best way to describe her would be a female version of Jarvis. She prances round the stage and really uses her sexuallity to the fullest. After a few songs though it started to get on my nerves, there are only so many times you can stand having Kates arse shoved in your face. I figure that most guys from 16 - 25 in there had their jeans become tight due to expansion!!. Nah! give me Corin or Louise Mason anyday.




That said they were an excellent band the guitarist and musical brains behind them (I deduce)Dorian is a very good musician. As a band they were tight and played all the album from last year plus a couple of tunes I did not know. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh on Kate she is an excellent front woman with a great band. Yes Kate your fit, sexy but show me something I don't know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home