Friday, March 14, 2008

Operator Please

The Roadhouse, Manchester 5/3/08.

I made a bit of a cock-up here when I booked to see OP I automatically booked to stay at the Crown. It wasn't till later that I realized it was an early 6pm show, therefore plenty of time to get the train home. Never mind. It was lucky I was off work or else I'd have struggled to get there. Anyway with being off I was armed with a big shopping list and set off early afternoon to purge Piccadilly Records. Unfortunately or luckily for my bank balance I could only find 3 albums I wanted. With it being an early show I decided to eat after as there would be plenty of time.

There was no queue coming up to 6 so I decided to pop into a little pub I know in a side street opposite the Roadhouse. As I was coming out I heard a "hey hi" it was Nick the singer with Politburo who I chatted with last month in Chester, small world.
By the time I got to the Roadhouse there were about 10/15 people waiting on the staircase leading down into the Roadhouse. A very young crowd too which made me feel older than normal. By the time I got in after everyone in front of me being I'd for age I secured a spot front stage (between Corin and Janet).

The support band were a band called The RGB's an electro punk/dance troupe fronted by three girls and backed by a drummer. In truth they were ok the lead singer did overplay it a bit for my liking. They seemed a strange support for OP though.

Operator Please soon set up, I saw this Ausie five piece last year in Liverpool. I thought then they were worth keeping an eye on. They're a very young bunch all teenagers. Led by Amandah the guitarist and lead vocal and plays a lovely Rickenbacker guitar.
There was a decent crowd not too packed in but full enough for a good atmosphere. They played a quick fire set that included an excellent cover of "whip it" which was lost on the majority of the young punters. The highlight though was the previous single "get what you want" which they really seemed to rip into and includes a nice little riff from cute violin girl. All told a good little band this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

The RGB's look like they might be interesting as a spectacle but if you can't back it up, ah well.

I've been to a couple of shows where I was the only person probably over 20. It *is* a weird feeling and I would rather not be in those situations.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:17:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home