Friday, February 08, 2008

Laura Veirs (Solo Acoustic)

Laura Veirs/Your Heart Breaks - Night & Day, Manchester, 4/2/08.

Bit of a dash from work and got to Manchester about 10 past 7. I took a walk past the N&D to check time for doors and see if there was many people about. I had a feeling this would be a well
attended show. As I thought the main people I expected to be there early, Colin, who I haven't seen since the LV gig at the Academy last year. Some other familliar faces too who I know but can't put a name too.

I got told doors were 7:30 so I dashed round the corner chucked my stuff in the Crown & Anchor and got back to the N&D about 7:40 just as they were opening the doors. The prime spot tucked by the piano was secured by the time I'd bought a drink so I went center/Carries side. I chatted with Colin and other faces for a while and it didn't seem long till Clyde from Your Heart Breaks (YHB) came on. They were the suport at the Academy last year on Laura's main tour. I remember quite liking them, enough to by their cd. It would be interesting to see how Clyde, who runs Laura's web sites by the way, come over solo.

Again I enjoyed what she did, she has a pleasant quirky nature too that came over well. She used loops to create a fuller sound at one point too she put a mike in her guitar case and drummed on the top and used this as a backing beat, neat!

There was a good crowd here as I'd suspected and Clyde was I think a little shocked as to how attentive and willing to join in and interact with her. A good start to the evening.

Laura soon followed and got a great reception and again I think a little surprised at size and eagerness of the crowd to interact and sing along. She opened with "Wandering Kind" which I wondered how she would translate to solo acoustic but it was great again she used some loops to fill the sound. Though halfway through she appeard to have problems with the lops in her moniters. It sounded ok to me but she kept asking the sound guy what the problem was. She coped ok though.

She played a great set and had a good banter with the audience, mostly stuff from Salbreakers and Meteors. Though she did from time to time ask if the sound was ok as she wasn't getting it properly through her moniters.

For the encore she just asked for any requests though some songs requested she said she couldn't play without her full band.

Laura really enjoyed herself here I think due to the fact there was a good knowlegable audience who were there on a Monday night in Feb to have a good night.

I had a quick chat with LV after and Clyde took our picture, rubbish one of me as usual.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Nice photo! Yeah the one time I went to see her the place was packed with googly eyed fans. I was surprised at her level of following.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:41:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home