Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Enon/Ill Ease

Faversham, Leeds, 7/2/08.

This is the itinery I've been thinking about doing for a while ie: up to Leeds, gig, get 3:38 train home arrive in Chester 7:15, home and climb into bed at 8am.

WHY? well quite simply, because I can coupled with a pervese desire to just travel at strange hours.
Ok that aside got the train to Leeds with the aim of arriving about 4ish. Got there about 4:20 and decided to go and check The Faversham as it was a venue I haven't been to before. This I did and found it within a 15 min walk from the station. I walked in and thought I'd get a drink and and have a look round and source best view points etc (ok I'm getting just a little too geeky now, note to self.). Had a look round then decided I needed to use the loo, so walked over and placed my drink on a table next to a couple chatting away. I asked if they would just look after my drink while I went to the loo I then noticed it was Elizabeth Sharp (Ill Ease) so I said hi and that I saw her last year in Leeds. "Thanks, thats cool" came the reply in a New York drawl.

The plan here was to wander round Leeds go to gig then go for something to eat in an Indian or Chinese restuarant open till 2ish. Then make my way back to the station. Change of plan. I was hungry by now and as I'd only eaten my customary 11am banana I decided to eat in an Indian restaurant I know in the city center, which is very good. So I did, bloody good to.

I got back to the venue about 8:10, not too many people about but I had the feeling it was going to be attended ok. The first act was not much to shout about a guy who ran between varying instruments and looped the results. Not too bad but the songs didn't come over too strong.

Next up was Ill Ease of course. She seemed alot "bouncier" than the last time I saw her. Though it was a familiar set I think she seemed to enjoy her space more this time round. At the Brudenell last year she played on a space in front of the main stage, this time she had a full stage to perform in. Again she was back and forth from drums and guitar using loops, as a lot of people seem to be doing these days. Again I really enjoyed her set and detected a couple of new songs in there too.


Enon were next. I came across these last year and their Grass Geysors album was one of my fave discoveries of the year. They opened up with the first song off Geysors "Mirror on you" which was at full throttle. They played two or thre really upbeat numbers and really delivered themselves at the audience, which was nicely full by now. As often the case with US/Canadian acts I see the level of musicianship was excellent. Standout songs were Sabina and Mr Ratatatatat. They finished an explosive set with a song I did not know and were immediately cheered back on for an encore. I really enjoyed Enon and glad I made the trip to Leeds to see them and Ill Ease.

So after a good gig I slipped out into the Yourkshire night until 3:30 am. Time seemed to go quite quick really I found a bar open till 2 then made my way back to the station. I sat down and read a book for the last half hour.









On the left Leeds station at 4:30 pm and on the right 03:30 am.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Man that's quite a setlist. I'm still debating whether or not to see them (Enon) again (I think it's in April). They had a great live sound and I really like the album but right now I'm in a bit of a funk with going to shows...

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home