Saturday, February 23, 2008

Jenny Hoyston/VVC

The Red House, Sheffield, 14-2-08.
I didn't realise 'til late on that the Creatures were supporting JH in Sheffield. I was not sure whether to make the journey until it occurred to me a week before the event. Thus nowhere to stay had to take a days hol in work and planning to be done in a short space of time.

Anyway set off to Sheffield early-ish as I had to find accommodation when I got there. The only place I've stayed there is the Travelodge, which I got a good deal last time of £26 now they're quoting standard price of £44.
I also had to (as is my geeky way) find the venue and source somewhere to eat. It being Feb 14th the later was not going to be straight forward. Anyway got to Sheff about 2pm and phoned a pub I'd found that did accom, no rooms though they did recommend another place so I made my way there with a stop off at the Tourist info on the way to see if they could point me anywhere. Long story cut short found hotel in the north end of town, which was handy for the venue though more than I wanted to pay but not too bad.
Next task find venue, The Red House a pub on the northern edge of the city center, map in hand I went off to discover. On my walkabout I found a nice Indian restaurant to eat in, I figured this the best option on such a day. I found the Red House ok though a little off the beaten track, I popped in had a drink and a chat with the guy there about stuff and more stuff!!.
I had a wander round to get my bearings properly and decided to go eat fairly early.
Anyway got back to the Red House about 8:20 ish, shortly followed by the Creatures who had driven up from Manchester, and were going to drive back!.
There were four acts on JH and VVC being the main two. The first act up were a girl duo who were a sort of rap act who sang their songs to a backing track. In fact I quite enjoyed them and I admired their guts for getting up and giving it a good shot.

Next up were a standard three piece though their material was interesting as each song lasted less than a minute, ok I didn't time this but it's a good guess. Wasn't too keen on these though they were just a bit too screemy and incoherent for me. Added to the fact that the drummer kept having kit problems.
VVC came up next. Jen was wearing a white T, don't think I've seen her wear anything other than her black. Obviously dressing for occasion eh Jen? Sian had sorted her glasses out by wearing a "lazzy" band sort of thing that prevented them from falling off every now and then. They played a similar set to last time but included City Lights. They again opened with the instrumental Ricochet and included "New Song" obviously still without a title. Main prob here David had loads of kit probs, at one point one of his cymbals literally cracked. In true rock'n'roll style he just ripped it off and threw it on the floor in front of Jen and Sian. Amusingly Jenny Hoyston stepped up to stamp on offending cymbal and try to flatten it back to shape. I should have taken a photo of that in retrospect, but sadly didn't.
Jenny H then started setting up. I was stood on the left of the room and she came over and started getting her guitar from its case which was right next to me. I said hi and introduced myself. I announced that we have a mutual acquaintance in SF. We had a quick chat then she carried on setting up. There was just her and a drummer and I enjoyed the set she played though I didn't know any of the material. I remember thinking to myself at one point just what a quality musician she is and why is she playing a small pub in the arse end of Sheffield on a dank Feb night. Glad she was though.
After I was chatting with Jen and Jenny came over I explained to her that she was responsible for me meeting the Creatures due to the photo I took at the EE gig in Leeds two years ago now I think. Anyway we all had a nice chat for a while and some photos were taken too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Yeah, she's super talented for sure. Her range is amazing and I also really love her sweet, folksy voice.

I'm so glad you got to chat with her and see VVC together! I'm sure you could tell she's a genuinely friendly person. I wish I could have been there!

Saturday, March 01, 2008 12:58:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home