Saturday, February 02, 2008

Politburo

Politburo - The Frog & Nightingale, Chester, 31/1/08.

Just like busses you get one gig then several come along at once.
Politburo are a Manchester band I'd heard mentioned on a few occasions but have never caught them live. I spotted they were playing a pub gig in Chester this Thursday so off I tootled to the Frog.
I got there about 8:20 as I wasn't sure what time they would start. I've only seen a couple of poor quality vids of them so I wasn't too sure what they looked like. I bought a drink and had a scout round to see if I could spot them, hmm! no.

I went and stood near the door stage right as it seemed the best view just as three guys came in, two carrying guitar cases, Politburo I think. They put their stuff down by the other bands gear then as they turn round one guy spots me, smiles and comes over and says "Hi! how you doin'". Erm! does this guy know me I'm thinking. Anyway I ask him who's playing tonight and he says "my bands playing". "Who is?" I ask. "Politburo" he says. "Ah! good it's you lot Iv'e come to see". He then says "I've seen you at Vile Creatures gigs, you know Jenny and Sian don't you?" Starting to make sense now. "Yes" I say. The other two then come up and Dominic (guitar) introduces me to Nick (vocals) and Steve (bass) by saying this guy knows Jenny and Sian.

Turns out they too are good friends with the Creatures. They tell me they'll be playing an acoustic set tonight as their drummer is ill. We have a good chat about stuff, mainly the Manchester music scene.

A band then steps up and sound checks and starts playing, I didn't catch their name thank god cuz they were crap. Then Politburo step up and explain the vacant drum seat. I dont know their material well as I've only heard their myspace songs. So I concentrated on their abillity as musicians and Nicks vocal. They were very good and caried the acoustic set off well considering it was their first attempt. During one song a dude from the audience stepped up and asked them if they wanted in to fill in as a drummer to which they declined but let him play bongo style for one song.

In all I was impressed with them and told Dominic later that I'd get up to Manchester sometime and see them play a full sound set.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home