Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vibrant Vivacious Creations

Vile Vile Creatures, Bar Fresa, Liverpool, 19/6/08.

As far as I was aware this was V V C's first Liverpool gig. Good to see them trying to broaden their base.

There was nearly a cock up here too as I just decided to pop up to Liverpool and get the last train home (11:45) I sent Sian a message asking what time they were on and who else was playing.
I got a message back saying they were on at 11pm then Flamingo 50 would be headlining. This meant that I stood no chance of getting the last train home, so I'd have to try and stay over. Upon arriving in Liverpool I headed to the hotel I normally use and was able to book in. Because I now had plenty of time I sent a message to my nephew Nathan asking if he was in town and had an hour or so to spare. He'd just got in from work so unfortunately it wasn't viable to meet up.

I decided to get something to eat though. After just ordering a meal I get a message from Sian saying there's a change of plan and they're now playing at 9pm!!

Ahh! ok I should be ok and able to get there about then.

I made it to the venue about 8:45 just as VVC were sound checking. When they had finished we went outside for a chat and a catch up. We had a nice chat and they showed concern about my eye. Sian said she has a new job in Port Sunlight and some of her new work colleagues including her boss were coming tonight. She was a bit nervous about this though. Sian was having the usual trouble with her glasses so I gave her a couple of 'lassy bands I use to protect my camera, which sorted the problem, 'tightly'. Jen was telling me that Julia had done a thesis on Riot Girl and had gone to Olympia to do some research .
Jen also introduced me to Louise from Flamingo 50 saying that she was also a KH fan. Turns out she is more of Tanya Donelly fan and got to K via the Belly/Breeders route. She told me she had seen Kristin play in a Cafe in San Francisco last year too, lucky girl.

V V C were called up to play at about 9:30 ish. Again a set of mostly new material, though they opened with city lights. Again they played FF in the middle of the set. They seemed to enjoy themselves again and talking to Jen later she revealed that they feel they are getting better as a band. I agree, there's a growing confidence in their performances. Sian had little bit of a technical problem but they seemed to get through it ok.

After they had finished they said they were going to head back to Manchester, so off they tootled. I stuck around and watched a couple more bands, nothing worth writing about though. So I too wandered off into the thick scouse air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home