Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fleet Foxes

Roadhouse, Manchester 17/6/08.


I'd imported the Fleet Foxes album a quite few weeks before its release in this country. I could have bought their EP but because of the exchange rate I imported the full album. As soon as I played it, it was evident there was an ethereal quality to the piece. Their beautiful Beach Boy-esque harmonies fit so well within their framework of simple acoustic based folk rock. This may well be the album of the year, certainly top five.

I was undecided to go to their gig at the Roadhouse until I got the album, as soon as I got it I was there. They were going to be playing with a band called 'Beach House' who I'd been keeping an eye on too. A low-fi duo but who sounded interesting and seemed to have a good song structure about them.

The Roadhouse being one of my fave venues allied with the fact that the Crown is just literally 2/3 mins walk away always makes it handy and less hassle. Got to the venue about 7:40 as I really wanted front row on this and was sure it would be a pretty full show as FF are the band on a lot of peoples lips at the mo.
I was 4th in line by this time and a good queue soon was formed. I got in and decided to go as usual Corin's side as what I'd researched this was the best side to see them anyway.
Beach House soon set up, a duo from Baltimore who I'd been keeping an eye out for.
In truth I was a little disappointed in them, Victoria's vocal was not clear enough. Being low-fi it's a big part of their sound. Their sound was much fuller than their stuff that I'd heard and somehow didn't work as well. That said they were pleasant, chatty and gracious and told everybody what a treat it was for them to play with FF.
Fleet Foxes set up they are a Seattle (Pacific Northwest again!) based five piece . Rustic and hairy, they look like their music and their music has their personal demeanor and essence. The lead singer Robin sits on a stool flanked by bassist and guitarist with a keyboardist to the right again and drummer at back. Robin plays acoustic only and bassist erm! who's name I don't know (could check it but can't be arsed) form the base of the harmonies. The guitarist does a great job of playing between the acoustic, keys and the rhythm.
They came over as a very together band all excellent musicians too. A good stage presence and funny with it too. The drummer complained that he didn't feel part of the band 'stuck at the back' and that it was alright for the guitarist as 'at least he was stuck on the side'. The keyboardist at one point asked if Peter Hook had made to the gig.

They played their set with a real humble assertiveness, this is one of the best 'new bands' I have seen in years. The singer has such a sweet lovely voice which just lends itself to be harmonised alongside, and they do it exceptionally well. There are some people asking what the fuss is about here as they are just an acoustic based folk/rock band, nothing new. All I can say is see them live and I promise you'll fall in love with them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The album's in the Top Ten on iTunes and Amazon! One of the rare bands who deserve the sales. Really sorry to have missed them. I still think that "Mykonos" kicks the pants of every other song.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 5:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home