Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Janet Weiss & The Jicks

Manchester Academy 2, 7/6/08.

Wasn't sure whether to come up for this as my eye problem was still there so to speak. Fact was though I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to see Janet. It's been two years since I've seen her (Quasi gig, Roadhouse).
Even though I've never been a huge Malkmus/Pavement fan, saw them many years ago at a festival (I think). I wasn't hugely impressed at the time and wondered what all the fuss was about. Though in fairness I felt they came over better on record.

Got up to Manchester early as I was staying in the Crown in the Northern Quarter, the hotel I normally use for Academy gigs was full.

Got to the Academy early as I wanted to get a good view of Janet. I'd forgotten that Thea Gilmore was playing Club Academy in the basement and the queue formed included Colin and a few other people I know from the 'acoustic singer songwriter circuit' as it were. I explained that I'd already booked my ticket for Malkmus before Thea announced her date. We had a good chat though and it seemed everyone would be at the Chester gig on the 23/6. See you there people.

I got a good position front row with a great view of Janet's kit. The support band were 'Wild Beasts' a band I'd heard about but haven't got round to checking up on yet, I'm so far behind it's unreal. Wild Beasts are a four piece band who sound nothing like the name would suggest really. They were ok, they were multi-instrumentalist too as they seemed to swap after every other song. Though not blown away I think they were a confident lot who gave the attitude of 'this is what we do, like it or loath it'.

Janet in full flight (ok I've posted this clip earlier I know, but what the hell)

It didn't seem long before Malkmus came on and Janet wearing a cute pink ribbon round her waist ? She gave her customary little wave too. I must admit I forget now what they opened with I'm sure it was a track off 'Emotional Trash'. The set was quite varied though some stuff of earlier 'Jicks' albums and some Pavement stuff too. Main body was the new album though. I said before I was not too impressed last time I saw Malkmus but this time round he was really good, the Weiss factor? probably. Janet and Joanna Bolm really provided a solid base for his undisputed talents as a guitar player, good to watch too. One thing I noticed he play's mostly without a plectrum and uses thumb and forefinger. I really enjoyed this gig and will probably feature in the frame come the end of the year.

I probably needed something to take my mind of recent events and this gig really helped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home