Monday, June 09, 2008

Eyes who'd have 'em!

Saturday night I got home from work with what I thought was a migraine. I took some painkillers and tried to carry on as normal. It soon became apparent that there was something not right here. The pain was getting worse and more of a throbbing of my eyeball. I tried to just lie down and let it settle but it just got worse and worse. By I think 10/11 pm ish ( my time scales may be a bit out as this was not important to me at the time) I was in absolute agony, if you can imagine a throbbing eyeball feeling like it was about to explode backed with a vicious migraine.

By 1/2 am ish I finally gave in and decided to get to the A&E at the Hospital. Ah! it's a Saturday night/Sunday Morning A&E will be packed full of drunken battle scarred arseholes that I just couldn't cope with at this time. The fact here is if I had a gun I would have blown my brains out to get rid of this pain. At about 4 am after actually passing out with pain a couple of times I decided to ring a taxi to get to the Hospital.

I got to A&E and there were no other patients there. The girl at the desk could see I was genuinely in pain and I was seen quickly. They took a look at me and decided straightaway to send me up to Arrow Park Hospital on the Wirral (about 15 miles away). That journey seemed so long and again I think I passed out along the way. When I got there I was whisked to a ward examined and put on an IV drip pumping me full of drugs. As I lay on that bed my whole body was shaking I think a nervous energy was being released. A couple of hours later, 8am ish, a doctor came to me and asked to take a look in her consulting room. After a look into my eye with several instruments and gadgets she comes to a sort of conclusion/diagnosis.

What had happened here was that the cataract in my right eye had burst fluid causing the pressure in the eye to build up and up and up. In the end the pressure was that high it could not cope, hence the pain. The next problem was that the cataract was so dense she could not check if there was any damage or infection at the back of the eye. More drugs and two examinations on Monday and Tuesday followed.

To give an indication here imagine you eyes as car tyres. The pressure in the good one 20. The bad one zooms up to 40/50 then after med's drops to 1. They have to get my right eye to the same(ish) pressure before the can operate on it.
So I'm now back home putting drops in my eye every 4 hrs and going to the hospital every other day till it's right to go under the knife.

This isn't a pleasant experience and the fact that it may take a while to fix is a pain. My eye is not too bad at the mo but still very sore and bruised from it's total shift in pressure. Time and an op are the only healers.

I'd just like to add a thanks to the staff at Arrow Park who were very nice and especially DR. Pennefather (a cute Cheryl Crow type lady) for understanding my pain and discomfort.

Consequently I missed the Land of Talk/ Tape's n Tape's gig on the Sun in Manchester's Club Academy which was a shame, I was looking forward to that one.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me messages of concern and support I appreciate it very much. Sorry too if I freaked anyone out as I know I'm not the only one with eye problems.

Thanks again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home