Friday, May 02, 2008

Angus & Julia Stone

Manchester, Academy 3, 25/4/08.

This is just typical me, I wanted to get away from work early to catch the 5pm ish train. There was no way though so I had to aim for the 5:53. Things just backed up on me and I didn't get out till 5:35. I made a dash for the station and as I was buying my ticket the train was pulling out.
Damn! the next train was at 58 and I had to run right over to the other side of the station but again I pulled out just before I got there. I was now knackered. The only thing I could think of was to get myself to Crewe and hope for the best. So again had to run across back to the other side and just caught the 6pm Crewe train (2 mins late thankfully). When I got to Crewe I stepped off the train as a train was pulling to the opposite platform, The 7 min delayed Manchester train. I now faced another problem this train bypassed Oxford Rd and went straight to Piccadilly. I pulled into Picc'y at about 7:09 and had to again get to the other side just as a Blackpool train was pulling in, next stop Oxford Rd. I leaped a bus on Oxford Rd got to the hotel and managed to get to the venue at 7:35. My lucky traveller tag is still in tact!!

Anyway to main point here, jeez I was rambling a bit there. I've really loving the A&J Stone album so was looking forward to seeing them. It had a good feel straight away as they had decked the stage out with plastic flowers/vine and cardboard figures as featured throughout the album sleeve.

The support were interesting, Paris Motel they were playing an acoustic show here but were quite entertaining. I'd like to see them with the full band.

By the time A&J came on the place was pretty full with a nice atmosphere.

The Stones (!!) are sibling folk duo from Australia they swap vocals, I think the rule of thumb here is whoever writes it sings it. Julia has a really interesting voice too quite high pitched and squeaky, beautiful with it though.

Angus plays strictly acoustic guitar but Julia will also play keys and on some songs trumpet.

They are backed by a rhythm section who were very good it has to be said just a bassist and a drummer who didn't steal any limelight from A&J but were solid enough to notice.

The set comprised mostly of material from 'A Book Like This'. I really enjoyed them their sound was a bit more upbeat than the record which made some songs like 'The Beast' and 'Like a boy' sound good and rocky. During some songs Julia who is a flooky, barefoot, Antipodean temptress dances round in a strange way that is captivating.
They played a 'request' encore and finished the evening with 'Wasted'. In all a super little show and a good responsive crowd made this probably my second fave show so far this year.




1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Yeah I can tell by those photos that she's kinda out there...

Lucky timing on the trains! Couldn't follow it after a bit but in the end you made it! Woo!

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:16:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home