Monday, May 26, 2008

VVC/Sad Sheilds

Castle Hotel, Manchester. 25/5/08.

(skip this first paragraph as it's just a personal note of my state of mind this weekend)

On the Saturday for some unknown reason I was feeling really down. I mean 'what's the point of life' down. I arranged to take a half day off work. Great idea, what was I going to do get more depressed? get obliterating-ly drunk? Fortunately I didn't do the latter, I just wandered round town. I felt that every direction I looked at in life I was faced with a brick wall. I'm not sure whether it was a good or bad thing that I was off work for the Sun/Mon, sometimes being in work can take your mind off stuff. Anyway VVC and Sad Shields were playing a tea time show on the Sunday in Manchester so I was hoping they would cheer me up a bit.

VVC and Sad Shields were about to embark on a mini tour together and I think this was a bit of a rehearsal to get themselves ready.
The Castle is a bit of basic pub up the top end of Oldham St, I've seen VVC play here before though. I got there about 4:20 ish not sure what time they were going to start.

I told Sian I needed cheering up so she said they were going to just rehearse a couple of new songs but would start properly at about 6ish. One of the new songs was slow(ish) one too!

It was fun to watch them rehearse and it was great to see that new drummer Julia has settled and stamped her own character on the way they play. At one point a couple came into the room and stood at the back. When VVC had finished they went up to the stage area, it was the band who had played here the night before and they had come to collect some of their gear. Turned out it was 'First Black Precedent' who I'd seen a couple of weeks ago. I had a quick chat with them and Jennie said she thought she recognized me from the Manchester gig.
I told Jen I was just going to nip and get a quick sandwich and I'd be back latter.
When I got back there were quite a few familiar faces around.


They played a good set of mostly newish material. The slowish song they played was good, though I don't know the name of it. This was a very relaxed affair as they were treating it as more of a rehearsal for their mini tour.
There was some good banter between the people in the room including Sad Shields. Again though they seemed happy playing together.

Sad Shields played next. I enjoyed these when I saw them last year. They were also down at Ladyfest, not playing but there to give some support to VVC.
Again a good little set though Aaron did spend more time with his back to the crowd playing at Vicki than I remember last time. Laura was on good form though.

Again I think they played a few new tunes, well ones not their cd I have anyway. Again I enjoyed them. They too I think treated it as a rehearsal as there was a fair bit of banter between the band themselves and crowd.
It was an enjoyable afternoon/early evening though. Jen and Sian asked if I could make the Leeds show on the 30th, as it was the last one and a party was planned, Hmmm. I must admit I said I'd try and let them know. As much as I'd of liked to have made it I just couldn't.

Footnote - They did cheer me up a fair bit and at time of going to press here I'm much happier. Strange thing life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Ah sorry you were down. I always say to myself that it's never as bad as it seems. That seems to help. That and good music. :)

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home