Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Kills

The Kills, Manchester Academy 3, 19/4/08.

Was really looking forward to this one as the Kills new album is the best album of the year so far as far as I'm concerned. I found their previous two though good a bit patchy. They do have a good live rep though.














Usual shenanigans left work, got train, dumped stuff in hotel and got to venue. With it being a Saturday it was packed round the Academy area. The present 'teen' sensations The Courteeners were playing next door so the place was swarming with spotty oiks (no offence) there was also a metal band who's name I forget now, no it was I Defy, well remembered. Doors opened in time and I got up to Academy 3 (top floor) handy enough to secure a spot Corin's side where Alison would operate.

I also couldn't remember who the support was but spotted the show times list on the wall to the side of the stage. These New Puritans which was a great surprise, I've been listening to their album and find them one of the better breed of up and coming 'new' bands in the country. They do have a good live reputation as well. I was not disappointed they were super my only gripe they only played about 20-25 mins!!. Enough time to really impress me as a live band though.

The Kills were set up with a very minimalist stage just a couple of guitars and a small drum machine/gizmo type thing set up on an amp to Jamie's right.


When they came on and opened with U.R.A. Fever I knew then this was going to be a good one. I was literally leaning on Alison's right monitor and allot of the time she was foot up on it singing and literally right above me. Alison has a superb stage presence she prowles the back like a caged lioness turning her head to keep looking at the audience. She circles too again with a cat like prowess with a look at the crowd that just says I'm going to eat you' I'm not sure whether I was scared, turned on or just magnetically drawn by this. I think a mix of the first two. Fact is she is just awesome to watch.




When she played guitar she played with the full hair over the face look and often played again at the back with her back to the audience.

There was an obvious sexual tension between Alison and Jamie with Jamie's celeb (shit I hate that I've used that word) girlfriend not on location I think they played on it.

Their minimalist stage set up allied with such great stage presence of both and a sexual magnetism made this an fantastic gig. Their execution of their material was superb, their new album (their third) is the best album of the year so far imo. I urge anyone with the chance to see this pair live, do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home