Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Electrelane

Academy 3, Manchester, 28/11/07.


This was a show I had been looking forward to for ages. I took a half day off work to get to Manchester in plenty of time to sort myself out etc.


Got to the Academy in good time as I had a venue pickup ticket. They opened doors a little late, nearer to 8 that 7:30 but picked up my ticket ok and shot upstairs to Academy 3. I got in handy and decided to go Carries side in front of where Mia would be.


As they opened late it wasn't long before Lonelady started setting up and ready to play. I then got a tap on my shoulder it was David the guy I met at the Sound Movement/Asobi Seksu gig in Liverpool last month. He was the guy who thought I was attached to the band or at least in the industry as I seemed to know everybody. We had a good chat and caught up on other shows we'd been too.

Lonelady played a good but fairly short 6 song set. She had her drummer and keyboardist with her so she had her full sound. As Julie (Lonelady) was clearing the stage she spotted me waved and said hi. David looked at me I just shrugged my shoulders and said "I know her".

Wasn't long before Electrelane set up, well their roadies did it for them.

They opened with "Bells" of Axes and immediately settled into a groove. The first song of the new album was "After the call". Verity played most songs from her keys but occasionally played out front with guitar.

I was stood right in front of Mia and she seemed to play most of the set head down with her fringe covering her face. Ros played most of the set with big smile on her face. You certainly got the impression they were enjoying themselves. This of course fed into the audience.

This made for a great atmosphere in the crowd and you could feel everyone was enjoying themselves.

A highlight for me was "Between the wolf" which they just rocked out too. There were several cries from the crowd of "don't break up" jeez flashback!!
They wilfully smiled and said very little.

They came out after the main set and played a storming encore of which I forget the tracks now but it was a super show. A band on top of their game and a responsive audience made for a very good evening. As they finished the main set I grabbed Mia's set list as it was literally two feet in front of me.


I also spotted and said hi to a girl I know who's a friend of V V C. I can't remember her name but we know each other by sight.
At present I'm putting together my fave albums and shows of the year. This is a gig that will feature in my top 10.
Thank you and goodbye Electrelane.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

That's a great list. Sigh, at least one of us got to witness up close their final show. Mia looks extra cute in the photos!

I love "Between the Wolf." It's got a lot of rock energy.

I so wish I could have heard "Eight Steps" as it's probably my favorite.

I can imagine how amazing it must have been to open with "Bells..."

Sigh plus... I'm so glad you went!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:58:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home