Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Victorian English Gentlemans Club & Sons and Daughters.

Academy, Liverpool, 17/11/07.

Because the Wrexham gig was cancelled I made a late decision to go to this one. Though why on earth I wasn't going in the first place, I don't know. Lets face it my fave (current) band playing 25 miles up the road. I think I'd just decided to do Wrexham and Manchester and skip Liverpool for some reason. Anyway Liverpool was now a must. So off I tootled to Liverpool straight from work. I got to the Academy at about 7:45. Academy is probably my fave Liverpool venue, small enough to have a good atmosphere but a big enough stage to accommodate a bands gear and let them move around. The one minus point a metal barrier, Liverpool venues seem to love these. Perhaps it's to stop scaly scousers robin' the gear (no intended offence to anyone).

As I've said many a time I love TVEGC live. It's at the point now too where their set is almost entirely new material. They only play a couple of songs off the album. Seeing them live now I have to take more notice of the songs to try to get to know them a bit better.


For this show I went to Adam's side I thought it would be a better view of Em's from this side. She is so great to watch live. Her hair falls over her face as she head rocks, but differently to Janet. She also has a habit of pouting her lips. She sometimes stands up while drumming too. I also love the Adam and Lou interact onstage and alot of the time play "at" each other.


Lou sometimes steps up to the front center of the stage and plays whilst staring straight ahead above the audience too.Again they were super and remain my fave (current) band. Whilst S&D were setting up I noticed Adam and Lou were at the merch desk so I went over to say hi etc. I asked how their European dates had gone down. Adam said they love playing the mainland as they just get looked after better in countries like Germany, Holland etc, "unlike here" he concluded. I told them I was also going to the Manchester gig and that I'd see them there. Lou then asks if I already have a ticket for the show cuz if not she'll put me on the guest list. I said I already do. Adam then says that in the future just mail them and they'll put me down on the list. I thought this was a lovely gesture. I won't of course, paying £5 - £10 to see TVEGC is always a bargain in my book.
I said my goodbyes and went back to my spot stage left to see S&D.

Sons & Daughters are a four piece from Glasgow. Two guys, drums and guitar and two girls bass and vocals/keys. They play an upbeat pop/punk style typical of Scottish indie pop bands really. I got their album Repulsion Box last year (shit or was it the year before? can't remember now) which was pretty good. Not sure if I'd be here if it weren't for the VEGC though. Like VEGC they are mostly playing yet unreleased material. They have an new album "in the bag" so to speak but played only about 3/4 songs I recognised. In fairness I really enjoyed them they were entertaining and good to watch. The lead singer had a good stage presence and was reminding me of someone till it suddenly struck me. She is the double of Beth Ditto (ok a slimmer version) but just the way she moved round stage was so Beth. The bass player was interesting too she just danced her way through the set in a weired sort of way back and forth. Cute though.

When they finished on their most recognised song "Dance me in" I had to make a dash for my train. In all an excellent night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

It would be nice to know if a portion of the ticket prices went to the bands. I had to ask Tussle once if I could be on the list but that was because the venue was sold out before I could get it.

A friend of mine recommended Sons and Daughter way back when. I gave it a listen (since I had a crush on her) and I liked it but never really followed up on it.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home