Friday, November 30, 2007

The Victorian English Gentlemans Club & Sons and Daughters(again)

Night & Day, Manchester, 24/11/07.

I was really looking forward to this one, fave band, fave venue and off for the weekend. Seeing TVEGC for the second Sat in a row too what's not to look forward too. Decided to get the train to arrive in Manchester at 4pm. I thought I'd then pop into the N&D for a coffee and see if there's anything going on. This I did, not much going on in the N&D though so I went round the corner and booked into the Crown. I then went off to my fave French restaurant to eat. I got back to the venue at 7:35 ish and got talking to a nice couple outside who were Sons & Daughters fans.
They soon let us in so bought a drink and went to my usual Corins side by the piano. I was soon joined by the couple I was talking to on the door and we continued to chat away. It didn't seem long before Lou stepped up onstage and started setting up soon joined by Em's. Lou spotted me and said hi, the couple I was talking to looked at me! "I'm just a fan" I said. Quite a comical moment really.
As we were waiting for them to start I get a tap on the shoulder. It was Steve a guy I meet at many gigs and a big fan of TVEGC. We had a good chat and said if he could get on the guest list he'd make the trip to Sheffield the following night, there was no way I could do Sheffield as I had to in work early Mon morning. Hmm jealous now.
Another excellent set, this time they included "stupid as wood" one of my fave songs. Lou was back to wearing her white dress with the black cross on too. They also played an excellent version of La Mer too that seemed different to last week somehow, but it just did.

When they finished the couple I'd been talking too turned to me and said they really enjoyed them. After a few moments they came back to start clearing their gear away. As Lou was clearing her gear away she handed me her set list. I carried on chatting to Steve as we awaited S&D. By now too the front of the stage was fairly packed as the show was sold out.


I stayed Corins side for Sons & Daughters as I'd watched them from Carries side in Liverpool. I also wanted to take a closer look at Ailidh the bass player who fascinated me last week. She is the only member of the band without a mike and dances back and forth singing to herself.

Again they played a pretty good set though I think Adel was a little below par tonight. She did announce she had been suffering from a cold and had to keep taking water for her throat after nearly every song. In fairness though she kept going and was pretty lively.


A shout here to the guitarist and obviously the main person in the band. Scott is the driving force behind them live, he comes over as a very confident musician. Also being a Glaswegian can handle any banter with an audience. Again I was impressed with them and look forward to their new album next year. After Steve and I walked up to the merch desk. Lou and Em's had come out and as I promised Louise in Liverpool I'd buy a t-shirt at the Manchester show, I duly did. I asked Lou if I could have a photo and Em's said she would take it. Me looking a total dork again, the guy holding the poster behind me to my left is Steve by the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

This is one of the reasons I keep going to live shows of great bands... the interactions with both the crowd and the band members. You are not obsessed with Lou at all. No sir. That was super cool of her to give you the setlist!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:57:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home