Sunday, November 25, 2007

Vile Vile Creatures (no 9)

Ruby Lounge, Manchester, 18/11/07.

After running up and down from Liverpool on Sat I was a bit tired. I was working so had to get the 4:50 train. When I got to Manchester I sent a text to Sian asking Ko time. No reply came the answer! Hmm! Ok. I thought I'd take a gander at the venue to see if it said there.

As had happened a few times this year as I got to the Ruby lounge Jen, Sian and David walked round the corner. Jen asked if I was coming in but I said I needed to get something to eat first. But she persuaded me to come in for 1 drink. This I did and we had good chat fo 20 mins till I said I had to pop for food and I'd be back in an hour or so as they weren't due on till 9 ish.

Got back to the place as VVC were setting up. They soon got going and opened with Wilderness then into Video the old (new) song. They played a good set of about 10 songs ending of course on FF. Excellent as always.

I'd calculated that this was the 9th time I'd see VVC this year. I have one more on 15/12 a good round figure to finish the year on. During this performance Jen broke a string and cut her finger which bled fairly badly. She asked the "audience" if anyone had a plaster. As it happens I always have plasters in my wallet, but a guy to my right got to Jen first. She carried on superbly and I think she revelled in the "rock'n'roll" of the situation. Though her finger was quite badly cut. This was also one of the longest sets I've seen them play too I think. Good form though. After we stood around chatting. When it came time to leave I asked if they wanted a hand with their gear as they were having to load it out the front entrance. Sian and David went to get Sian's car while Jen myself and another girl who's name I forget now, sorry kept an eye on the gear in the street in the cold Manchester night. Jen nips off to see where Sian and David are and comes back to announce Sian's car won't start. Staring at the gear on the floor she suddenly says "where are the amps?" The three of us look at the now locked door of the venue "Erm! in there!!" Jens face was a picture, "shit, shit" she says. Jen has to use my phone to call David who has the number of the venue to get them to open up to get the amps. Fair enough 5 mins latter the amps are shoved out the front door. We then have to load the gear into two cabs to get the Creatures home, a quite comical end to a good evening really.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Nine times! I'm really curious to compile the end of the year list of all the shows I've been.

The cut sounds pretty bad. You don't see that too often but I have seen guitar picks broken or lost. I always try to remember to bring an extra pick to save the day but always end up forgetting.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home