Monday, April 09, 2007

Blood Red Shoes

Roadhouse, Manchester 4/4/07.



Because I had two gigs on consecutive nights in Manchester, I fixed my rota to have the Wed and Thurs off and not work Good Friday. Thus three days off in Manchester. I got there early afternoon on Wed. Checked into my hotel and decided to have a wander round and check out the locations of a couple of French restaurants I'd "googled". At about 6ish I sat down to eat at a restaurant, yeah French. It was the more expensive of the two I'd checked but I felt in a holiday mood, so what the heck. It was quite "white cover" and more expensive than I normally choose to pay, but as I said I was in holiday mood.


Got to the Roadhouse about 7:45 (doors 7:30) doors were open but there was a queue of about 10 people on the stairs leading down into the venue. A minute later they let us all in. I bought a drink and had a quick look round and took up residence at Corins side. This is the best side to be for BRS. A couple of bands came on one called Daggers who were ok. The singer was a cross between Morissey and Curtis though. Then a band called "something" Circus, again not bad but lead singer loved himself too much imo.

Time for Blood Red Shoes. They started setting, same as I saw them last time. They set up to play "at" each other which I like. They're cool too they both drink red wine while setting themselves up. As Stephen was testing his kit SY's Kool Thing started playing over the PA. Stephen then proceeded to drum along to it perfectly, he's obviously an SY fan.By now the crowd had filled and though not full was not a bad


audience. I don't know what it is about this band that makes me like 'em so much. Er! yeah I do really there good and noisy yet carry a tuneful structure. They play well together, they're obviously an item. Stephen is a very good drummer for a 12 year old, well that's how old he looks at times.
Laura announced that this was the rescheduled N&D gig from last month, where she could not speak due to a throat infection. She then said she now had a cold but was well enough to play, and play well enough she did.

After the show I had a wander round to see if there was anyone I knew, but no. I stood in the middle of the room and put my beer on the table behind me. When I turned round damn! the bar staff had cleared it. I took this as a sign to make my way into the night. On the way out walking up the stairs I noticed a poster for a show I'll be attending at the Roadhouse next moth. So I coolly ripped it off the wall and walked off happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I'm usually too antsy before great shows that I eat early and something quick. Also because I know I'll be dancing I eat light but I would love to make a ritual of a fine meal and then a fine show.

Anyways, woman playing an instrument = instant <3

Friday, April 13, 2007 5:26:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home