Friday, April 06, 2007

Thea Gilmore

Telfords Whorehouse, Chester, 2/4/07

So began a promising week, one I'd been looking forward to for a while. Firstly there was Thea Gilmore in Chester then I get to see Laura Veirs with her full band in Manchester. These are punctuated by the wonderfully noisy and erratic Blood Red Shoes, one of my little secrets.

Got away from work early even with the gig being in Chester I still didn't have time to get home, change, grab something to eat and get back to town. I decided to get changed in work and go to a little bistro I know just up the road from Telfords.
Got to the venue about 7:50, and to my surprise Erin Mckeown was already on, damn!

I wanted to see her. I'd recently been introduced to her stuff, interesting she is too. To my amazement too they had put rows of chairs in all of which were taken up. Chairs? what the hell are they puttin' chairs in Telfords for? Anyway I stood on the steps at the back for few moments. I then realised there was an alleyway down the right hand side, I didn't see any reason why I couldn't just walk down and "stand" at the front. So I did, sorted.
I only caught about half of Erins set but yeah she was ok. A quirky little performer with good energy and a good stage presence.

Thea didn't take long to take the stage. Which by the way was unusually decorative for Telfords with some cartoonesque animal mural at the back. Anyway Thea came on wearing a black dress and a pair of blood red shoes, He! He!

By now I had been joined by a girl who asked if it was ok to stand here. I said I think so and that I couldn't see any reason why not. Thea was joined by Nigel Stonier her producer and I think, husband? not sure but I think so. If this info is incorrect I'm sorry and I'm an idiot.
Anyway she did not work to a set list just seemed to play the next song that came into her head. This was interesting and refreshing. Quite a few times she asked the audience to request a song and would duly play it.
Most of the stuff she played was off the last two albums and a new EP she has just recorded.

The interaction between Nigel and Thea was excellent. Even though the whole set was acoustic they managed to belt out some of the more rockier songs very well.
Another note here, she was onstage for well over one and a half hours, so excellent value in this day and age were a lot of bands/artists play for barely just over an hour.

After the show I bought the new EP and got Thea to sign it. I told her it was great to see someone of her calibre in Chester to which she said that this was a local gig for her. It turns out she now lives in Nantwich which is about 15 miles down the road from Chester. So with a bit of luck she'll play here from time to time. Love to see her with a full plugged in band though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I *love* the mural!

I have yet to see one of my favorite band play for 1.5 hours. That would be a dream come true.

Friday, April 13, 2007 5:23:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home