Monday, December 04, 2006

Sound Movement

Ok I know this is about 4 weeks late - sorry!

The Sound Movement - Metropolitan, Liverpool - 9/11/06.

Liverpool Music week ran from 4/11 - 13/11 and showcased many local bands and some not so local. Many of the gigs were in pubs and small clubs. Most of the shows were free and featured six or seven artists on one bill. About 3/4 weeks earlier I heard a song on BBC Radio6 which sounded quite good. It was by a band called Sound Movement. I wrote the name down as I usually do with the intention of checking them out online when I get chance. As it happened I did check them within a day or so. Firstly I like the name, I know it's trivial but, I just do. They look fairly intresting without any gimmick of trying to look it. They've had an interesting journey. They are from Melborne, moved to Tokyo (for 6 months) then to Manchester. Too cold and wet in Manc'r so they moved to London, where they now base themselves. They play jangly guitar "shoegaze" indie rock (ok now't new but it just seemed to fit). I notice from their "Myspace" page they've just released an album and are playing this free gig in Liverpool. As the wonderfull city I reside in is about as up-to-date music wise as a tatan pair of Lionel Blairs, I have to order the album in.

The Thursday of the gig I'm actually off work but decide to get the train up at about 6pm (45 mins). I also decide not to stay in Liverpool and to catch the last train home, about 11:25 pm. When I find the Metropolitan it's a quite large pub with a small stage set up at the back end. I have a chat with the barman who says SM are probably the last on of seven bands and it will start at 8pm. Hmm! if they are gonna be on last I'll probably miss them as I have to get to the station for the last train, damn!. It was then I notice The bass player Kat, quite noticeable as you see from the pics. A bit of luck they set up and play first, great. The downside being there wasn't much of an audience, but hey I got a good view without trying. I was going in blind as their album hadn't turned up yet so I'd only heard their myspace songs. I enjoyed their set though and recognised a couple of the tunes. I'd like to see them on a bigger stage, there was not much room on the small platform they were on. At one point the guitatist on the right (in photo) did venture "off stage" and played side on to the rest of the band.
I stayed and watched a couple more bands and left to get the 11pm train home. Two days later the album turns up, typical. As I say they're nothing new but good at what they do. I like the album very much and it will probably make my top 20 for the year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Yr description of the venue reminds me of the Hemlock Tavern over here. Big impressive bar and a tiny stage in the back except at the Hemlock it's in a large room in the back.

But that "stage"... That's like a small patch of carpet. I have to admit though that I prefer small venues for their intimacy.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 5:58:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home